Light-O-Rama Forums

Not sure what to buy

green devil

I'm new here obviously.  Please forgive my ignorance. I have been putting up lights for a few years now and want to sequence them.

I want to have 2 leaping arches, which I'll dedicate 10 channels to, and I'll use the other 6 for my eaves, windows, giant star, ect. I would like to sequence  them to U2's "please come home". 

Can I do this by buying the showtime central starter package, or do I need to buy the residential starter package and run it through my computer, and what else will I need to buy, besides more lights of course.  Thanks for any responses.

May I suggest you look in the coffee shop for used controllers. At this stage in the game with being as new as you are you're going to have to use shared sequences you may not find any shared sequences for a 5 segment leaping Arch. If you find some used controllers you could get 2 of them and use an old computer to keep costs down. Then you can make 8 segment leaping arches which are more common. Not trying to discourage you I'm just trying to bring some reality to your dream. Do you ever get to the Madison Wisconsin area? I might be able to help you out

Edited by Ebuechner

I would like to just have 16 channels the first year to save on some expenses, and add to it when I can get stuff on sale, find deals, ect. I have attached a drawing from when I built my house with some colored coded lines indicating different channels I was planning.  If someone could take a look at it and let me know if it makes sense and is doable I would greatly appreciate it.  I would like to have 2 leaping arches, but if I'm running out of channels and money I wouldn't be opposed to having one large arch if it would look decent. I know Ebeuchner suggested sticking with 8 channels per arch instead of 5 like I had planned for sequencing purposes, and suggested that I have 2 arches. Thanks for the responses/ messages!

christmas light set up.pptx

14 minutes ago, green devil said:

I would like to just have 16 channels the first year to save on some expenses, and add to it when I can get stuff on sale, find deals, ect. I have attached a drawing from when I built my house with some colored coded lines indicating different channels I was planning.  If someone could take a look at it and let me know if it makes sense and is doable I would greatly appreciate it.  I would like to have 2 leaping arches, but if I'm running out of channels and money I wouldn't be opposed to having one large arch if it would look decent. I know Ebeuchner suggested sticking with 8 channels per arch instead of 5 like I had planned for sequencing purposes, and suggested that I have 2 arches. Thanks for the responses/ messages!

christmas light set up.pptx

"Page doesn't exist". 

Try one drive or drop box maybe. I use photo bucket. 

Edited by Mega Arch

18 hours ago, green devil said:

Can I do this by buying the showtime central starter package, or do I need to buy the residential starter package and run it through my computer, and what else will I need to buy, besides more lights of course.  Thanks for any responses.

You can do either. Really depends on you. I didn't want cables going inside to out and tying up my PC. I use the residential controllers with the miniDirector. Accomplished the same as the showtime package, but less money for me. Either are expandable with future controllers so you'll be ok. 

Here's some good info:

http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/

I agree with staying with 8 channels (or 7 - not time for that debate yet). It's easier to buy sequences and use shared sequences staying with others format. 

You can still do 2 arches and wire together. Or electrically reverse where they bounce towards each other. Then split later when you have extra money for more controllers. 

As I was suggesting to him about having 2 arches my thought was if he's using shared sequences that are set up for a pair of arches and he has one which one do you pick to copy over without the sequence looking like there's a gap. These are choices he'll have to make for himself. My suggestion was if he had an old computer that he could use and we could get him some used controllers at a reasonable price he might still be able to reach his goal without breaking the bank. Then at that point he'll have enough experience to know which direction he would like to go that would suit his budget. If it was me starting out I think I would want my money invested in controllers because that's something he's always going to have a need for no matter which direction he goes

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

As I was suggesting to him about having 2 arches my thought was if he's using shared sequences that are set up for a pair of arches and he has one which one do you pick to copy over without the sequence looking like there's a gap. These are choices he'll have to make for himself. My suggestion was if he had an old computer that he could use and we could get him some used controllers at a reasonable price he might still be able to reach his goal without breaking the bank. Then at that point he'll have enough experience to know which direction he would like to go that would suit his budget. If it was me starting out I think I would want my money invested in controllers because that's something he's always going to have a need for no matter which direction he goes

Absolutely. However, can copy second arch sequence into first arch channels and not have the gap. 

11 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Absolutely. However, can copy second arch sequence into first arch channels and not have the gap. 

Right now I'm trying to keep him focused on the hardware and make some choices then we can help him with the software. I think some people may not even get started on this because there's an overload of information. Right now he has to make some choices based on what is budget will allow. One Arch is definitely doable but I don't want him to be disappointed if he had his heart set on 2. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Right now I'm trying to keep him focused on the hardware and make some choices then we can help him with the software.......

Absolutely. 

I just went and looked at the price of a basic starter package for One controller. $308 I think for just a little more than that you could get two controllers used and a USB485 and then you would have to buy a basic license which will control 2 controllers $50. This option would require a computer and then you would have to deal with the sound, $70 roughly can get you a FM transmitter off of Amazon. There are so many options this is just one of many

21 hours ago, green devil said:

.... I would like to sequence  them to U2's "please come home".......

Even before buying your license, you can play with the software. You just can't export or do a show. But while you debating your options, my see if sctiger is still sharing the sequence you want to start - with by replying/asking in the below thread.

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Even before buying your license, you can play with the software. You just can't export or do a show. But while you debating your options, my see if sctiger is still sharing the sequence you want to start - with by replying/asking in the below thread.

I'll be glad to share the seqence.  This is my first year as well.  I can't exactly answer many of your technical questions, but I'll be glad to share my experiences thus far.  Rely heavily on these guys. They won't steer you wrong (most of the time!). ;)   I will say that I'm relying heavily on borrowed sequences this year too. I've found two songs that I really like that I can't seem to find sequences to, so I've been working on them since Early Sept.  I have one completed (if there really is such a thing!) and the other in progress if that gives you any idea about how long sequencing a song can take. 

Edited by Sctiger
Because I had an "oh yeah!" moment
  • Like 1