Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody else thinking of buying more PC kits?

JeffF

Probably going to push it too far with the wifey, but I'm itching to buy just "one more" kit from the Secret Sale. Don't know if it's because I'm making mini-trees... or because I'm watching "A Christmas Story"... or maybe because I'm enjoying a few "beverages"...

At any rate, I'm about to pull the trigger on "one more" kit and I'm fearing the aftermath...

What to do... what to do... :?

I have too many as it is! (I got 10...) It was a great price. I won't use them all, (actually, I have no idea how many channels I need. I haven't hammered any of that down.) I ran around 176 channels last year. These things hold their value well, so any extra controllers will just be ready for 2009 or ebay in November if I want to cash out on them. I didn't see any point in holding off for the June sale since the secret sale was promised to have better prices.

I think it just depends how much you want to spend and how much time you have to program and setup. The more channels you have, the harder it gets.

michael.farney wrote:

I have too many as it is! (I got 10...) It was a great price. I won't use them all, (actually, I have no idea how many channels I need. I haven't hammered any of that down.) I ran around 176 channels last year. These things hold their value well, so any extra controllers will just be ready for 2009 or ebay in November if I want to cash out on them. I didn't see any point in holding off for the June sale since the secret sale was promised to have better prices.

I think it just depends how much you want to spend and how much time you have to program and setup. The more channels you have, the harder it gets.
I agree Mike, the more channels, the more difficult/time consuming. I had way more channels last year than I needed and did not use all of them. With the cost of wire, plugs, etc., I found it easier and cheaper to place controllers throughout the display and not use some channels rather than run long extension cords. I figured $95 for a PC controller and strategically locating where I could use six or nine foot extension cords on 8 channels was easier than running 16 100 foot cords. My lot is 210 feet wide so it made economical sense and provided a neater installation. Also, since some controllers had only LEDs connected to the channels, I could daisy chain the power leads from controller to controller, again saving on extension cords and new circuits. I build my own boxes from wood and use regular household outlets in the boxes rather than the pigtails. Keeps the connections off the ground and dry and saves money.