Light-O-Rama Forums

Playing mp4 video with the sequence editor

It's Expected Now

I'm trying to create my first sequence using the "This is Halloween" video by Manson.  It's the heavy metal version.  I have the sequence for the clean version but not this version.  Anyway, I imported the video and I can hear it when the sequence plays but there is no video player.  Is there no way to preview the video while you are creating the sequence?  Thanks!

When you say imported video do you mean you assigned the MP4 as the media file for the sequence?  If you did then check your video preferences under the edit menu.  Make sure play videos is checked.

17 hours ago, It's Expected Now said:

I'm trying to create my first sequence using the "This is Halloween" video by Manson.  It's the heavy metal version.  I have the sequence for the clean version but not this version.  Anyway, I imported the video and I can hear it when the sequence plays but there is no video player.  Is there no way to preview the video while you are creating the sequence?  Thanks!

I personally have never got an MP4 to play on LOR nor has my friend down the street. I convert the file to WMV. But before you try anything else, like BYRG said,  SE>VIEW>VIDEO>SHOW VIDEO

I too use WMV files and it's funny as I didn't even know there was an option to show video under the view menu.  I've always went edit_preferences_video preferences to do it.  I've actually enjoyed editing videos to match up to my sequences for Halloween.  I've screen captured videos for Thriller, It's Me (Five Nights At Freddy's) and Spooky Scary Skeletons and have them playing during the sequence on the projector.

Thank you everybody! I will try that and if it won't play i'll convert it to wmv.  When i'm all done, I will schedule the sequences etc, will the video play from the LOR software along with the sequences?  It would suck if I have to try to time starting the video and starting the sequences manually.  Thanks again everybody!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2016 at 8:09 AM, B.Y.R.G. said:

When you say imported video do you mean you assigned the MP4 as the media file for the sequence?  If you did then check your video preferences under the edit menu.  Make sure play videos is checked.

Yes you are correct , and I didn't realize i need to click play video so I'll try that. Thanks!

3 hours ago, It's Expected Now said:

Thank you everybody! I will try that and if it won't play i'll convert it to wmv.  When i'm all done, I will schedule the sequences etc, will the video play from the LOR software along with the sequences?  It would suck if I have to try to time starting the video and starting the sequences manually.  Thanks again everybody!

Your welcome and yes, your sequence, lights, audio, video will all start at the same time. 

8 hours ago, saxon said:

Your welcome and yes, your sequence, lights, audio, video will all start at the same time. 

That's so exciting. I can't wait to put this all together.  Saxon, I saw your videos on your website.  That's really clean, nice work!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:28 AM, Greg Young said:

LOR will handle .wmv and .avi video files.

Greg

11 hours ago, It's Expected Now said:

That's so exciting. I can't wait to put this all together.  Saxon, I saw your videos on your website.  That's really clean, nice work!

Thanks ExpectedNow, unfortunately I have no video of my video to show you, maybe this year.

I remembered this, from LOR pages of version releases:

MP4 Media Files

The Sequence Editor now allows MP4 files to be used as the media files for musical sequences.  Please note that not all such files will work on all computers; for example, a particular MP4 (or some other type of media file) may be encrypted with DRM or may require a codec or filter that is not present on the computer.

I'm off and running thank you to everybody who helped me.  It came right on when I converted my file to WMV.  I like being able to toggle the video preview on and off as well.  Sometimes I want to see it and other times it's just in the way.  Thanks again!

On 10/2/2016 at 1:13 AM, saxon said:

Thanks ExpectedNow, unfortunately I have no video of my video to show you, maybe this year.

I remembered this, from LOR pages of version releases:

MP4 Media Files

The Sequence Editor now allows MP4 files to be used as the media files for musical sequences.  Please note that not all such files will work on all computers; for example, a particular MP4 (or some other type of media file) may be encrypted with DRM or may require a codec or filter that is not present on the computer.

Right, which is why I referenced the 2 that work reliably - wmv and avi.

• 2 weeks later...

That makes sense Saxon.  Some types of media files allow several different audio and video codecs and unless you have that codec installed it won't work properly.  The WMV and avi files are the same in that regard ( i think ) but have fewer codecs allowed that most all of us have installed.  So it's a more lowest common denominator type of file.  Worked great for me to just convert everything to wmv.  The windows movie maker seems to have done a great job in coverting everything.  I don't see any loss in quality so I'm super happy.  My sequences are all done for Halloween.  Thanks to all of you helpful folks I didn't' waste my time on trying to figure out the impossible. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Newbie" here.  Great help!

I am starting to use the software for the first time.   I have an old Windows Vista laptop and 1 controller.

On my first ever sequence, I tried to open a music file in m4a format.  I received the error message "The total time of this media file has not yet been determined..."

Do I need to convert the file format?  If so, what is best?  MP3?

Edited by Mejorpain

You should also convert all MP3 to a constant bitrate of 128  and normalize all songs so the volume is the same