Light-O-Rama Forums

Minimum PC requirement to run S2 show

mmaness

What's the minimum requirement to run a show from a PC in S2? I'm doing the sequencing on an XMD X2, so I have plenty of horsepower. But for running the show only, I don't know what I can get away with.

I have an old 233mhz PII PC, as well as an unknown speed PIII (but faster than the PII). I'd prefer to use the old PII, 'cause it's my old PC from several years ago and I kinda hate to see it sitting there, with nothing to do.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Best I can remember, the old pc might be fine. It needs to have windows 98se or higher to function. Also, it needs windows media player 9 or higher.

I agree. The PII should be fine. Overall S2 uses less resources than S1. The actual playing of shows is about the same and people ave used PIIs to run shows with S1.

Important thing is that is is 98SE or higher.

My show PC is a PIII 500 , but I have a PII 233 that I keep there as a "Backup".
I have run and tested the show with it and it does just fine.

sequencing is a different story!

• 6 months later...

I'm reviving this thread as it seemed most appropriate to my question.

I was beginning to get things "organized" for the coming season, which included reviving last year's show computer which has been sleeping in the closet since New Year's.

Alas, it's hard drive is kaput. It's an older machine and I don't want to spend a lot of time or money on it - I don't recall the specs but I think it probably has the original version of XP Home with whatever updates were released through summer of 2007.

Looking at new PCs (versus the cost of a new drive plus the time and hassle to install the drive and reload operating system, etc.) there are some very inexpensive basic machines available right now. Specifically, for $199 this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8703708&type=product&id=1200702531756

I'm doing my sequencing on an XP "Media Center" (2002) with SP3 which is just fine.

Will this replacement PC with Vista Home and 512MB RAM be sufficient for simply running the show (250 channels) using WAV files (and using wireless Easy Light Linker to the controllers)?

I can add RAM, of course, but I'm cheap.

Anyone's thoughts, recommendations or other suggestions?

Many thanks ... Rick

Rick Hughes wrote:

I'm reviving this thread as it seemed most appropriate to my question.

I was beginning to get things "organized" for the coming season, which included reviving last year's show computer which has been sleeping in the closet since New Year's.

Alas, it's hard drive is kaput. It's an older machine and I don't want to spend a lot of time or money on it - I don't recall the specs but I think it probably has the original version of XP Home with whatever updates were released through summer of 2007.

Looking at new PCs (versus the cost of a new drive plus the time and hassle to install the drive and reload operating system, etc.) there are some very inexpensive basic machines available right now. Specifically, for $199 this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8703708&type=product&id=1200702531756

I'm doing my sequencing on an XP "Media Center" (2002) with SP3 which is just fine.

Will this replacement PC with Vista Home and 512MB RAM be sufficient for simply running the show (250 channels) using WAV files (and using wireless Easy Light Linker to the controllers)?

I can add RAM, of course, but I'm cheap.

Anyone's thoughts, recommendations or other suggestions?

Many thanks ... Rick

That machine should have no problems.

Last year I was running my LOR on a piece of really crappy equipment from the Fred Flintstone era! I replaced it but I think it was Pentium III, 155 Mhz computer. LOR ran fine.

I did have to install a USB card in it to get things going.

Sounds good ... the new CPU should arrive Friday. And while I was at it I treated myself to a 19" LCD ($150) for my desktop and will "hand me down" my old monitor to the show computer;

Why, some would say, it's just like Christmas!

rICK