Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence transfer to SD Card problems (Free Seq)

dibblejr

Hopefully this is in the correct forum.

I purchased pumpkin faces from J.A. and he also sent me some free sequences with what I thought would be easy to follow instructions and a video tutorial.

He emailed me the sequences and the are .LMS files. A footnote on the email said all files had to be converted to 128kps through audacity and lame.

I downloaded both programs and when I try to import the .lms file into audacity I get an error. It says "try to use raw data". I tried this using raw data and it does populate into the audacity program but the frequencies look one level.

I did a search for .lms files and it says they are LOR files. So I attempted to put one of the 16ch songs on an sd card and put it in the sd slot in showtime central. The card does not read. Showtime central works fine, I was able to put the SD card I received with my purchase and it played the Christmas lights and went to my car radio fine.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have emailed J.A. aka Mr2manyxmaslightsguy but haven't had any replies.

TIA

J.R.

You need the audio mp3 files to associate with the .lms files. The lms files do not contain any audio. If the audio files were not included, you will need to get the correct mp3 from somewhere like amazon.

It is the mp3 file which must be in constant bit rate 128 kbps format.

In fact it is the cbr which is more important. The bit rate may be higher but they must be constant bit rate, not variable bit rate.

Audacity is the correct tool for adjusting audio files. You do not need to do anything to the lms file with it.

Phil,

Thank you for the speedy reply.

The mp3's will be easy for me to get. He provided me with a listing of where he purchased the mp3's from so I can just go get them from there.

Based on your reply I am assuming the .lms file is the synchronization of the lips to music. let me know if I am wrong, I'm a newb.

If that is correct do I need to somehow incorporate the lms file into the 128 kbps mp3 file. Sorry if there is another section in the forums for that, I don't know all of the lingo.

Thanks again

J.R.

Open the lms sequence file in sequence editor, file/media file, select the mp3, which should go in your liteorama/audio folder. Best to keep the sequence file in the sequences folder, but not essential

• Like 1

That was a huge help, thank you!

I was able to put the .lms file in Sequence Editor, I was also able to create the 128 kbps mp3 and place it in Sequence Editor as well.

I created the file and saved it as (.lms) onto an sd card. I placed the card into the showtime central and the controller LED just blinked the entire time. It was just waiting for the command.

I then discovered that in sequence editor I could play the file back and it played but no lights. In settings "play" the control lights is checked. I took a gander at the um but couldn't figure out what went wrong or just my "user timing and head space".

Am I sup to just add it to my existing LOR sd card, or is there another place to store it? Until I get used to LOR I plan on just using the showtime central. I will be out of commission or limited through the holidays so Halloween will be my best shot at this.

I really appreciate your assistance now to figure out what I did wrong.

I looked at my LOR Sd card and the file extensions are .seq but that was not an option so now I have to figure out how to save as .SEQ

Edited by dibblejr
added on final sentence

I dont use a director so I cant help much with the SD card stuff but I think you have to create it in the hardware utility.

I  dont think you can just copy files to it.

Best option is to use the HWU {Hardware Utility} to write to your SD Card.  You just can't put the .lms file on there.   See my reply to your PM, there everything is detailed out as to what needs to be done to get an SD Card operating in an MP3 Director unit.   If anything doesn't make sense in the PM or I overloaded your brain with all the info or you just need further info/clarification, just respond to the PM with your questions and I'll try and walk you through it.

Edited by Orville

I just use the "simple show builder". it 's really easy to use. You might want to format that sd card first since you tried to straight import files onto it.

20 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

I just use the "simple show builder". it 's really easy to use. You might want to format that sd card first since you tried to straight import files onto it.

The pitfalls to the simple show builder is if you save your sequences in SPECIFIC folders, like I save mine each year like this, main folder name: Halloween, then subfolders for sequence years, i.e. 2010, 2011, 2013...2016.  Do the same for Christmas and off season, as well as single channel sequences in my OFF-HOURS music folders.  I also save them by channels, 48 Channel, 64 Channel, 80 Channel, etc.

In the Hardware Utility YOU CAN BROWSE ANYWHERE to load your sequences, with SSB, THEY ALL have to be in the SAME DIRECTORY{same place} and that's just a mess in my opinion.  In the HWU, I can browse to a 2015 folder, load a sequence, then browse to the 2016 folder and load any sequence{s} from there and on and on.   If and when I tried using the SSB {Simple Show Builder} I had to copy any/all sequences I wanted to use into the DEFAULT SEQUENCE folder I set up initially to use in the LOR Suite.   HWU allows you far more flexibility when using an SD Card and an MP3 Director unit.

And you can set show times in the HWU as well, plus you can create up to 9 different shows in the HWU, I think the SSB is very limited in creating and saving multiple shows, show times and writing to SD Cards from ANYWHERE on your computer, which it can't do!

Another pitfall of the SSB is the showtimes, you can only select on the hour or half hour for start/end times, in HWU you can select times right down to the time your show starts and the last song ends, instead of being limited to 6:00pm, 6:30pm....10pm, 10:30pm, you could have a show start at 6:05pm and end at 9:10pm, you can select anywhere from 9:00pm or am to 9pm/am the next day and anything in between from 9:01 to 9:59.    That just isn't available in the SSB.

So many folks really don't know just how flexible the HWU is for use with an SD Card and MP3 Director unit.

Having used an SD Card and MP3 Director myself when I started in all this in 2010, I'd recommend the HWU over the SSB for the reasons above, very versatile and not all that difficult to master either!

Now that I've gone to using a computer to run my show, I have even more flexibility than I ever did with the SD Card and MP3 Director, but I may still go back to using one some day, but for now, a dedicated computer will run my shows.

Edited by Orville

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has replied.

Orville I will get back into it in the morning. I looked at so many tutorials and read so many different replays in various forums and nobody even discussed how to save their work. My eyes are all buggy now.

Its good to be on a forum where everyone isn't bashing us newbs. 

Thanks everyone

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Orville I will get back into it in the morning. I looked at so many tutorials and read so many different replays in various forums and nobody even discussed how to save their work. My eyes are all buggy now.

Thanks everyone

We were all newbs at some point. =)

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks everyone

40 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

We were all newbs at some point. =)

Yes we were.  I could say more, but I'm leaving that alone!

Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks to Phil I was able to understand how to properly convert my MP3 file to 128 kbps

Thanks to Orville I was able to write my files to the SD card. I guess drag and drop doesn't work because HU MP3 writes the .SEQ file as well.

Thanks to everyone for all of their input. Hopefully one day I can share what I have learned (thus far) with new members. It took me a while to pull the trigger on this LOR system, After having my original Christmas in a box since its inception, I felt it was time to raise the bar.

I am not the type that wants everything spoon fed to me, I prefer researching and only asking questions once I cant find the answer to my problems. This was no exception, I was maxed out on my IE tabs, all from my email tab to videos and threads from this forum along with the forum help function. This was one heck of a project.

Hats off to all of you who take your time and knowledge to assist people like me without any second thoughts.

I am sure I will have more questions and hopefully 2017 I can have a really nice Christmas display.

Glad to have been of help dibblejr and that you finally got to see how your lights worked with the controller and how they would correspond to the music in the sequence, as well as your FM transmitter sending the music to your car stereo.

If you have any other issues and need some direct assistance, you now have my number, so feel free to give me a call if you need to.  If I can help, I'll do what I can to get you going.