Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC User Feedback

Bob VandenBoom

terryj529 wrote:

Has anyone used them in extreme cold. -20 or colder? We have had some really cold nights that dipped down to -29 below zero and was wondering how they hold up.

All of the componets are rated down to -40.

terryj529 wrote:

Has anyone used them in extreme cold. -20 or colder? We have had some really cold nights that dipped down to -29 below zero and was wondering how they hold up.

I don't believe that we got temps below -20 but it was in the teens below zero and the units in my display worked flawlessly.

Like others have said earlier, my only (minor) gripe would be the screw holding the enclosure closed and getting the CAT5 threaded to the connections.

Rick Caulk wrote:

-20, Sorry, not here in Sacramento, CA. Maybe the Utah guys could shed some light for you. With the snow and wind chill I am sure it gets to be like conditions.
Rick

It gets cold here in Utah, but not that cold. It's not uncommon for us to go days or even weeks at a time with our high temperatures below freezing. But it's uncommon for us to dip below 0 degrees farenheit.

I can't give any feedback though on how well the controllers perform in cold temperatures, 2008 will be my first year with an animated display.

• 2 weeks later...

My five ran perfect only complaint would be how the cat 5 cable is run to them. Think that needs a little re-engineering.

thanks
While most of the time our lows don't get that bad, there was one Christmas Eve that the temp was -50 below zero and a wind chill of -89 below zero. Luckily I was vacationing in Arizona that year. I remember 6 weeks when the temp never got above zero but that has been awhile too. We only had -27 for the lowest this winter.
Must be something to this global warming thing after all. Our winters haven't been too bad lately but there are days when the lows get down below zero aways.

I used 2 ctb16pcs this past year with 2 16ks all worked flawlessly. I did have gfci problems, but I have a plan on eliminating that problem this year. I plan on adding more ctb16pcs this year.

• 1 month later...

I added 10 to my collection this year. I had one problem - it only controls 8 channels... I believe it to be the processor, I am going to do some diagnostics to it in the near future. If i dont figure it out - ill be shipping it back for repairs along with a 16k that decided to burn a solderpad.

I love the stakon connectors. much easier to install. I also bought different boxes for the boards. I got metal nema4 boxes from automation direct that have a smaller footprint.

Chris