Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up your display?

DisneyMatt10

Quick question for everyone on here, when do you usually start setting up your display to make sure you have everything up in time?? I want to have plenty of time to test and make last minute adjustments before the show goes live. However I don't want to be "that" person that "starts putting up Christmas lights in September." Thanks.

~Matt

4 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Quick question for everyone on here, when do you usually start setting up your display to make sure you have everything up in time?? I want to have plenty of time to test and make last minute adjustments before the show goes live. However I don't want to be "that" person that "starts putting up Christmas lights in September." Thanks.

~Matt

For Christmas, I start roof & wall items mid-October. Nothing in the yard until after the punks, I mean kids, trample the yard for Halloween. Day after Trick-or-Treat / bamm - on it every day until done. Turn on at Thanksgiving and run through New Years Day  

My Halloween show is small. Set up week of and take down day after. 

• Like 4

Matt

Like Mega Arch we start 1 November, but my neighbor/friend and I decorated 8 houses on our street, only our 2 are LOR sync'd. The rest we put up their static lights and any decorations above grass level they need help with, at 62 and 65 we are the youngsters LOL. And we light up Thanksgiving night.

Keith

Edited by Kapkirk
Add light up night
  • Like 1

I start with my mega tree tower in mid October. Morty the skeleton is mounted to the tower for Halloween. :) Mega Arch here is Dancing with Morty. :D

DSC08112_zpsli9fb9wf.jpg

DSC08115_zpsmwwnrjm2.jpg

DSC06639_zpsf9ec0c18.jpg

I have a small display for Halloween as well and set up and take down the same day, Halloween.

DSC04893_zps7fb4968c.jpg

DSC04871_zpsdf46c5f0.jpg

Then the next day I start with everything on the roof first before it gets too cold to be on the roof. Oklahoma weather is too unpredictable so I get the roof done first.

Usually I work putting up displays on the weekends in November. Then and Mega mentioned, finished and running Thanksgiving day through New Years day.

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I start with my mega tree tower in mid October. Morty the skeleton is mounted to the tower for Halloween. :) Mega Arch here is Dancing with Morty. :D

DSC08112_zpsli9fb9wf.jpg

DSC08115_zpsmwwnrjm2.jpg

DSC06639_zpsf9ec0c18.jpg

I have a small display for Halloween as well and set up and take down the same day, Halloween.

DSC04893_zps7fb4968c.jpg

DSC04871_zpsdf46c5f0.jpg

Then the next day I start with everything on the roof first before it gets too cold to be on the roof. Oklahoma weather is too unpredictable so I get the roof done first.

Usually I work putting up displays on the weekends in November. Then and Mega mentioned, finished and running Thanksgiving day through New Years day.

Been missing Morty. ?

Fun stuff. 

start mid october work from the top of the house towards the street.  finished last year about a week before thanksgiving, gave me time to test and make some new sequences for starting on thanksgiving night

I started last weekend with my house outline.  Lots of strip and power injection...  You cant really see it when its up with the diffusers on it.  Its go time on November first with everything in the yard

The association (actually 2 associations... yes 2) that dictate rules in our neighborhood limit Christmas lights (just hanging on the house, not just powered on) to 30 days before and 30 days after Christmas. I'm going to try and get away with putting up lights on Thanksgiving day so I can turn on that night. I doubt anyone will even notice the one day discrepancy. I hope.. lol

Like others, I start with the roof and house early October. 2 reasons- 1- I use some of them as Landscape lights for the month of October (Orange) and 2- there have been years that we have snow at the end of October and I don't want to be on the roof with snow.  I'll sneak in a few lights in the tress as well since you can really see them with the leaves.  The rest of the yard goes in after Halloween, and the lights turn on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. 

The thing that has helped me put things up faster over the years is that everything has it's place in the yard.  I leave the Icicle lights hooked together and labeled for which section of the eaves they fit in.  Mega Tree light strands go in a box labeled Mega Tree, same with the strands for the trees in the park strip.  Etc. etc. etc.  This helps take the guess work out of finding what strands go where.  I have labeled a lot of the extension cords this way as well.  (This also helps when plugging them into the Controllers)  The hardest part is making sure to put everything away correctly at the end of it all.

I use my GECE bulbs on the eves for Halloween in addition to Christmas, so those will go up mid October.  The pixel tree will get pulled out a few days after Halloween and setup in the driveway and tested.  The next weekend, it gets placed, and the arches come out and set up.  Add a few hours for the little stuff.  My goal is to have everything up and operational by mid-November so I can test and tweek if needed.  Lights up is the day after Thanksgiving.

22 hours ago, LightsWithSoul said:

The association (actually 2 associations... yes 2) that dictate rules in our neighborhood limit Christmas lights (just hanging on the house, not just powered on) to 30 days before and 30 days after Christmas. I'm going to try and get away with putting up lights on Thanksgiving day so I can turn on that night. I doubt anyone will even notice the one day discrepancy. I hope.. lol

When I started with LOR four years ago I joined my HOA. Now if any complaints come in they have to go through me.  :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

When I started with LOR four years ago I joined my HOA. Now if any complaints come in they have to go through me.  :D

That's the way to do it right there. 

• Like 1

For me 75% of my Halloween lights are also 50% of my Christmas lights, so I'm 50% wit Christmas by the end of October.    I'm very careful not to turn on any lights in November, because the elves told me that for every set of christmas lights turned on before Thanksgiving a baby reindeer dies.   I do have it on good authority though, that testing before Thanksgiving will not result in any reindeer fawns going "missing". 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, khawes said:

For me 75% of my Halloween lights are also 50% of my Christmas lights, so I'm 50% wit Christmas by the end of October.    I'm very careful not to turn on any lights in November, because the elves told me that for every set of christmas lights turned on before Thanksgiving a baby reindeer dies.   I do have it on good authority though, that testing before Thanksgiving will not result in any reindeer fawns going "missing". 

So if I test the lights every day in November, the reindeer will be okay. ;)

• Like 3

Last year we set up the yard over the course of the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, and then turned on "the show" on December 1.  Hoping it's the same this year.

My Halloween and Christmas display are basically the same...change out a few display items between season.

So the 3rd week in Sept, I'll pull out of storage and test the lights on the ground. Last  week in Sept, will hang and start testing display. Will start display first weekend in October. First of November, will changes out what's needed between seasons. 

Living in Minnesota, goal was not to be putting up a major display in November because of the cold.

By October 31st I like to have the roof lights up. Then the first week of November is time to do all things house related. The second and third weeks are for all things yard related. Then the last week I take off from work and put the finishing touches on everything.

BTW, this year I have already started servicing our incandescent superstrands since I am also adding 128lbs of blue LEDs to the display. :D

What the hell was I thinking when I bought all these blue LEDs!!!