Light-O-Rama Forums

What are you adding to your show this year?

Mr. P

Here's a + for LED's that no one can deny... Their colors are MUCH more vibrant AND don't fade....The longevity and  toughness of GOOD LED strings are just another pro in their favor....Let alone that  you can run 10000 of them on one 15 amp circuit .....That says alot about how much power they DON'T consume.....Oh snap, LED's just rule....But I could have told anyone that 30 years ago.... In the eighty's, I tried to tell everyone to invest in LED technology....but did anyone listen?  NNNNnnnnooooooo!   

• Like 2

Scott,

in the eighties, I graduated high school and then joined the military. I had a dream about the voice for LEDs. Maybe it was you. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Instead of Grinch, it's really

"The Orville that Stole Christmas". 

Naw, I didn't steal it, I just bought it away.....:P

Need more lights.....

You must be quoting me......I'm an incan man at the time but I have stated everything you said about LED's in previous posts.....they are just too expensive....lol

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Need more lights.....

You must be quoting me......I'm an incan man at the time but I have stated everything you said about LED's in previous posts.....they are just too expensive....lol

I was just re-enforcing what you said....:P Ya, that's it .....re-enforcing...

See, I started out right in the first place, so I don't even realize the cost difference. I just think to myself, "this is what they cost and that's that". Of course I had some incandescents in the past...as they died, I replaced them........ with a better product.:D  A great old saying is, The expense of a quality product is soon forgotten, but the disappointment of an inferior one lasts a long time.  

19 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Advice you gave in the 80s

Hey!!!  I never gave you rights to record me!!!!:D That was a personal conversation!!!!;) 

• 1 month later...

Yesterday  I was hanging lights, 85 degrees in October, and I got this really weird idea.     I house sized 'arch'.   But instead of going up and over the house,  I want to suspend the whole thing 10 feet off the ground.  So people are looking up at it and its like a half circle around the house.   I talked to my wife and, as usual, she says DO IT!   She doesnt care how much work I have to do as long as I don't ask her for help and don't neglect all the other stuff I have to do! 

My first guess is about 100 feet of pixel strings.   

This is my original idea no matter what facts you present to the contrary. B)

House from overhead google earth. The 'Megarch' would wrap around the house.    Notice how I changed the name for you so I wouldn't infringe!  Who needs back to back A's anyway.

megarch.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2016 at 7:12 AM, Jaynee said:

I'm adding:

• 16 more channels
  • 5 large stars on the house (which I bought from a fellow forum member)
  • a small 8-channel spiral tree
  • 14 lighted animals
  • 4 lighted trellis trees

How are you mounting stats to the house? My house has vinyl and trying to figure out how to mount.

13 hours ago, Dave76 said:

How are you mounting stats to the house? My house has vinyl and trying to figure out how to mount.

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy that had them hang off PVC pipe that was hung from his roofline.  I'm hoping to have the PVC pipe be tied down via my bedroom windows, similar to how I have my window frames secured.  Won't know if it works until I try it, which won't be until November.

11 hours ago, Jaynee said:

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy that had them hang off PVC pipe that was hung from his roofline.  I'm hoping to have the PVC pipe be tied down via my bedroom windows, similar to how I have my window frames secured.  Won't know if it works until I try it, which won't be until November.

Ok.  So the PVC hangs from the roof line, and then the star hangs off from the PVC.  I'll take a look.  I think I ma looking for a better solution that this, but will take a look.  Thanks.

I went looking for the video and it turns out I didn't bookmark it like I thought I did - and I couldn't find it.  I found it clicking through from other videos.  The guy was doing a walkthrough of his display, which included a curved row of snowflakes hanging from PVC.  I REALLY hope I can find it when I finally have time to build it!

I have 9 RGB snowflakes hanging on the side of my house. 

Instead of PVC hanging from the eave/roof, I installed two large eye screws to the trim underneath my soffit.  From there, each snowflake is mounted to a small 1X2 frame with hooks (green pieces in picture).  The frames are then hung from each other via white plastic chain.  Sort of like a rope ladder.  I then start from the top and install each snowflake by hooking it onto the frame above it via the white plastic chain.  

If you're interested I can snap some closer pics of the hardware, etc tonight.  I don't have them on the house yet. 

11-19-2015 11-00-20 AM.jpg