Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard Demo

michael.farney

JimCanfield wrote:

I have been following this thred very closely trying to figure out the beat wizard. Maybe it is th esong that I am doin but I cannot get it to work. No matter how short or how long I make the beat wizard play it never gets the beat right. Also I hate the fact that it messes up my timing grid. It takes out the .10 secong grid boxes and adds all kinds of others. I even had it turn a dummy channel on and off and it made the timing all whacky. All the time I spent trying to get it to work I could have played visible screen and inserted my beatsin myself. The song I am using is TSO Carol of the Bells. I am just hoping it is the song. I ABSOLUTLY HATE the fact that it adds different timings in my grid. The tapper wizard did that to me and that is why I stopped using that. What I mean is I have my channels set up at .10 timings. When I use the beat (and tapper) wizard I get all kinds of different timings. I get a tenth of second, then a hundreth of a second then a half a second then a quarter of a second and so on. It makes it difficult to sequence when it is all different timings.

You're trying to accomplish something completely different than the demo. The purpose of the beat wizard and the demo is to eliminate the need for a timing grid set at .10 (or whatever you like.) If you prefer to have a grid with .10 timings, then don't use the beat wizard -- it's not going to be any help. As Rick pointed out, you now start with a blank grid and insert only the timings you need. The purpose of the beat wizard is to insert timings, so yes, it will mess up your grid every time if you already have timings in it.

Ok. Now, with that said, if you prefer to sequence with a grid set at .10, you're still in luck! Just use the tapper wizard, and make sure the box about snapping to the current events is turned on. I am not going to be much help because I don't use that feature, but I'm sure you can figure out how to make it work.

So, just want to help you understand your goals and goals of the beat wizard are different. I hope I didn't make it more confusing. Please feel free to ask more questions. :):):)

I get it now! After all this time it just occured to me by your last post. I make a track with NO timings, insert timing event, then go from there, That way I can see where each beat is. I was trying to do both ways. Now it makes sense, thank you for your patience. I will try that on my next song as this is almost finished (only about 4 more hours!!!!).

• 1 year later...

I seem to be having a slightly frustrating, not horrible since the song I am sequencing won't be in a show until June (I have time). I am trying out Tracks for the first time in my sequencing career and I can't get all the channels used in the different tracks to show up on the other tracks.

Example:
-Track 1 is the beat, I used beat wizard for this track, and has 18 channels that turn on and off during the sequence.
-Track 2 is the Narrator, I used the Tapper for this one, and it has 1 channel turning on and off during the sequence
-Track 3 is main singers, again the Tapper, and has 10 channels
-Track 4 is the back up singing, Tapper, with 8 channels
-etc.
-etc.

But I can't see all of channels together being lit, only the channels being lit on the track that I am viewing. Also when I export it to the DC boards I am going to use, have them set up with LEDs in them for testing, only one track plays.

I is the con-fooz-ed. Am I not supposed to use the Beat wizard mixed with the Tapper? Or am I missing a button that merges them all? Like I said I have time for this but it is a place your mug down on the table roughly kind of frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ANNNNNNND I just noticed that this is the Beat Wizard thread......Micheal you may want to fix your link on the LORsequences page: http://lightoramasequences.com/content/view/16/48/ . The one on the tracks page links to the beat wizard thread.....Said in the most joking sort of way.

ravenscroft, there's no problem using the Tapper Wizard and the Beat Wizard in the same sequence (or, at least, there's no problem that I know of).

Is it possible that you have two entirely different channels (in two different tracks) set up with the same unit ID/circuit ID/et cetera?

That is, you set up a channel in one track to be unit 1 circuit 1 (or whatever) and then you added a channel to another track and set it up to be unit 1 circuit 1 also? As opposed to using the "duplicate channel" feature.

The former creates two entirely different channels that will compete for control over the physical circuit that they've both been told to control. The latter will simply have a single channel show up in both tracks.

Also, you might want to consider using the relatively new feature "timing grids" instead of tracks. If your goal is to just to have different sets of timings (like you say, one for the beat, one for the lead vocalist, et cetera), timing grids are (I think) much easier and cleaner than tracks.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

michael.farney wrote:

Here is a tutorial that will help you get the most milage out of the beat wizard. It has some tips and hints to get the beat wizard to perform when it has trouble finding the beats correctly. This is just from my experience. Hopefully, other will add their insight and tips on the beat wizard as well.

The audio is a bit low on this one and the transition at the end cut me off mid sentence. But, it's 3am and I'm done messing with it. :)

Please chime in with questions and other tips for getting high performance out of the beat wizard. :)

Video:
High Res: http://pc.lightoramasequences.com/Beat%20Wizard/BeatWizardHigh.wmv (27 meg)
Low Res: http://pc.lightoramasequences.com/Beat%20Wizard/BeatWizardLow.wmv (13 meg)

Are these videos available elsewhere? The links are no longer valid and I really would like to view the tutorial.

Are these videos available elsewhere? The links are no longer valid and I really would like to view the tutorial.

I don't know if Michael's Beat Wizard videos are available anywhere, but here is a Beat Wizard video, at least.

That was a very good example of software tools at work in the the program Bob, is there any more like it?

darrel schweissinger wrote:

That was a very good example of software tools at work in the the program Bob, is there any more like it?

I've posted links to some other videos here. I hope they help.