Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing...... Starting or Finished

Archer

I attended a family reunion this past saturday and I learned that one of my relatives is a song writer. I showed him my hobby and by the time I drove the 2 hrs to home, he sent me a facebook friend request which I accepted. This morning one of his posts was appealing to light show enthusiasts across the country to use his songs in this years shows. I told him that my sequencing is complete for 2016 and that he should be looking at 2017.  What time of the year do my forum friends start and complete their light show sequencing? Comments are appreciated.....

I personally tinker with my sequencing year round and continue all the way up to show time. It is not unheard of to get a last minute request and throw a sequence together in a matter of hours just to make someone happy.

38 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I personally tinker with my sequencing year round and continue all the way up to show time. It is not unheard of to get a last minute request and throw a sequence together in a matter of hours just to make someone happy.

+1. Totally agree. Been there many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

+1. Totally agree. Been there many times.

+2, I do the same thing.   And I also will add in a song at the last minute if I really find one I just want to put into my show.

I've added many a last minute song, even added songs during a show if and when possible.    It's never too late to put in a new song from a new or unknown artist.  If the song is really good, I'll sequence it and add it, again, even during a show if it's really, really good and I really want it in my current display operation!

I tinker year round, but found that I can knock out a song In about 25% of the time it normally takes when the whole setup is on the house and I am sitting in the street. Did 5 new songs last year in a couple days last year this way

• Like 1

I must be doing something wrong!!! It can take me a couple hundred hours to get at new 3min song onto my light show (44 controllers). I have noticed that a lot of shows have lights blinking on and off and many of them you can't tell what lights are being "synchronized" because they have all of their lights doing something. So that now raises a new question in my mind. Is a "sequenced" song a "synchronized" song and vice-versa?  Let's get some discussion on this or should I start a new topic?

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

I must be doing something wrong!!! It can take me a couple hundred hours to get at new 3min song onto my light show (44 controllers). I have noticed that a lot of shows have lights blinking on and off and many of them you can't tell what lights are being "synchronized" because they have all of their lights doing something. So that now raises a new question in my mind. Is a "sequenced" song a "synchronized" song and vice-versa?  Let's get some discussion on this or should I start a new topic?

The length of time to sequence a song isn't judge nor does it matter. The end result is what matters.

So it takes a couple hundred hours. Everyone has their own pace of doing things. And 44 controllers is alot of controllers BTW.

I can sequence a song in one evening but I promise you it would look like crap and not be to the likings of what I expect out of myself.

Don't compare yourself to others.

If you ain't havin fun... your doing it wrong.

I also sequence year-round.  Unlike others, though, there's no way - with over a hundred Unit IDs and a couple dozen universes - that I have the time or any desire whatsoever to add sequences after setup begins.  Even Sharon knows the time of year for requests is limited to the month of January, and that policy has served me very well.

All songs we use have been "sequenced" by the very definition of that term.  "Synchronized" though, is what many, many, many, many, many, many sequences don't seem to be.  If there's any question in your mind whether a song is synchronized - no matter how many lights and controllers - it isn't.  Period.  IMO there should be a separate category in our hobby for "synchronized" displays and a lesser category for those which are merely Christmas lights with music playing in the background.   

• Like 4

I agree....the lead-in songs I use are "sequenced" but the actual song is "synchronized"......that's a big thumbs up for George.

Mega....if you did not reply in the manner in which you did, I would have been greatly disappointed..... ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

This weekend I spent Saturday doing one 3-minute song, and Sunday doing most of a 4-minute song.  I only have 32 channels.   So a couple hundred hours for 44 CONTROLLERS makes sense to me. *lol*

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Must be that LEDs are easier to sequence than your outdated INCANs. 

???

I can vouch for this as well. LEDs are much easier to sequence. That's the main reason I switched to LEDs.

It falls in line with the wireless extension cords which transmit power much faster because there is no resistance like in wired extension cords. :)  

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

Also keep in mind that just because you may have 100,000 lights doesn't mean they all have to be on doing something. Sometimes less is more.

I am having issues with sequencing at the moment, as apple "Fixed" and wiped my computer, and the last backup of my show is a version with only 60% complete..... Now off to go program the remaining 6000 channels and redo the videos for the screens as showtime is a a month and a half away... :( 

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Also keep in mind that just because you may have 100,000 lights doesn't mean they all have to be on doing something. Sometimes less is more.

I couldn't agree more.  Darkness is one of the greatest (and most under-used) sequencing tools available.  Being in a city with street lights at the end of each block, we're blessed with having a location that is as close to totally dark as can be.  I can't imagine being someplace where I couldn't use the dark to such great advantage.

People ask all the time how much the electric to run the display costs.  I can see the disbelief in their eyes when I tell them how low it is.  It isn't until I mention that the overwhelming majority of the lights spend the overwhelming majority of their time OFF, that they begin to understand.

• Like 1

I am starting sequencing this week. I am sorting out channel configuration right now. Hundreds of pixels, P10 panels and normal lights, and all running off of FPP. Because of all this, I wasn't sure on how to setup channels, and I have only just built the main props this week so I didn't know how many pixels around each window.

I also agree that off is as good as on. LOR controllers don't allow you to turn lights on, the reason they are good is because they can turn lights off.

I used off too much in 2015, and because it was my first year, nobody saw the house. This year I plan to find a balance.