Light-O-Rama Forums

Intensity Setting

nmonkman

I noticed the NEW intensity setting feature which is a GREAT improvement!

I was clicking around to get a feel for how it works and I noticed that it is set at 5 or 50% by default, I think.

Can anyone verify if 50% is a default setting and how do I change it to 100%?

I assume I would want everything at 100% intensity unless I have something special, right? I need to know before I get too much further in my programming.

THanks

Neil M

nmonkman wrote:

I was clicking around to get a feel for how it works and I noticed that it is set at 5 or 50% by default, I think.

I assume I would want everything at 100% intensity unless I have something special, right? I need to know before I get too much further in my programming.

THanks

Neil M

You now have 10 intensity quick settings available. You can use Tools -> Intensity Tool Options to change the values of the presets. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to.

tom.

nmonkman wrote:

THanks

Neil M

Intensity is set to 50% by default. For 100% intensity you just use the 'on' command so changing the intensity to 100% wouldn't buy you much. You probably already know this, but most user's including myself find it much faster to use the keyboard shortcuts - in this cas 'n' for on and 'i' for intensity. Here is a link to all of the shortcuts:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15260&forum_id=72

Mark

Okay, so if it is 100% by default using the "on" command, then why is it that when I highlight any channel that I have turned on and select the intensity button it comes up showing it as 50%.

Should it not read 100% if I have not made changes?

nmonkman wrote:

Okay, so if it is 100% by default using the "on" command, then why is it that when I highlight any channel that I have turned on and select the intensity button it comes up showing it as 50%.

The default for intensity is 50%. When you select events and select Intensity, you have just changed that/those event(s) to 50%, regardless of it's original state be it ON, or OFF, or Ramp Up, etc.

nmonkman wrote:

From you intitial post, I'm not sure if you are taking full advantage of the intensity tool. As hobbes stated earlier, when you select 'Tools' then 'Intensity Tool Settings', you should see this:
lor2-intensity-settings.JPG
Whatever value is currently selected here will be the intensity level that your cells will be set at - in this case 50%. You can move this window up to the unused space on the menu bar area and keep it open at all times so you can quickly change to another level on the fly. You can modify these default levels from the 'Tools', 'Intensity Options' menu:

lor2-intensity-options.JPG

Mark

Either I am not understanding something or nobody is understanding me.

Won't be the first time..........LOL:D

I only want to make sure that my lights are on at 100% if I select "on". In the LOR I version if you clicked a channel "on" it was on at 100% by default. If you clicked the intensity button I believe you only had one option of 50%.

I would expect the lights to be on at 100% and the intensity to be set at 100% unless you change it manually.

The picture above is what concerns me that I click on a channel and without doing anything it is set at 50%. If there was an "apply" button I would not be concerned.

[line]
EDIT:

The default for intensity is 50%. When you select events and select Intensity, you have just changed that/those event(s) to 50%, regardless of it's original state be it ON, or OFF, or Ramp Up, etc.

I didn't see the above before I posted. So all I have to do is stay away from the intensity button unless I plan to use it, right?

That seems lilke kind of a unusual tool. As stated above, there should be an "apply" button to keep from making changes that you don't want.

Also, there does not seem to be any kind of visual indication that the intensity has changed. In LOR I you had a horizontal line so you knew what you changed.

Neil

I only want to make sure that my lights are on at 100% if I select "on". In the LOR I version if you clicked a channel "on" it was on at 100% by default. If you clicked the intensity button I believe you only had one option of 50%.

Lor I always had the ability for you to set the intensity anywhere between 0%-100%. I don't have it installed anymore but I believe it was under "Tool Options". 50% was the default value but any value could be used.

If you only want to have your lights 100% On or Off then you should use the "On" and "Off" tools. You don't have to use the intensity tool in your sequences but I find that it allows for more diversity in the sequences when needed.

Also, there does not seem to be any kind of visual indication that the intensity has changed. In LOR I you had a horizontal line so you knew what you changed.

When viewing your sequence that has channels using intensity you should see a difference between a channel set On (100%) or if it is set to an intensity. You can choose to view the fades as ramps or colors. I always use "View Fades As Ramps" because I think it is much easier to see them. The name says view "Fades" as ramps but it applies to the way intensity is displayed also. To change this you can use the button on the toolbar that looks like a doorstop or you can use View -> Fades -> As Ramps. Below is a screen shot of some channels set at 50% and 80% intensity.
intensity.jpg
intensity.jpg
Edit: Fixed link to image file.

tom.

nmonkman wrote:

I didn't see the above before I posted. So all I have to do is stay away from the intensity button unless I plan to use it, right?

That seems lilke kind of a unusual tool. As stated above, there should be an "apply" button to keep from making changes that you don't want.

Neil

Hobbes illustrated the points I was going to make very well. The Intensity button behaves the same way any of the other buttons such as On, Off, Toggle, Shimmer, Twinkle do. Once you click on one of these icons, any cell you subsequently select will take on this effect. You may want to get into the habit of using the keyboard shortcuts as I noted in a previous post. You just choose the 'Select' icon and from that point on, any effect you want is a simple Ctrl + . You will be surprised as to how much more efficient you can be while sequencing.
You also might be misunderstanding the difference between On and Intensity. As far as LOR is concerned, 'On' always implies fully on. Anything level less than 100% but more than 0 will have an intensity setting.
As far as being an 'unusual tool', I have to disagree. For example, during my static display between shows , I have my clear C7's on my roofline and around my windows set to 75%. This gives my display a much more balanced appearance as they tend to overpower the multi-color minis on my shrubs if they are fully on. And during the shows, I often dim some of the channels rather than turn them off. This can make the sequence less 'blinky' which I think works well for certain songs.
As far as the 'apply button', this is unnecessary since you can always undo your changes with the Undo command (Ctrl-Z).

Mark

I think I have beat this horse to death.

Maybe unusual was not the right word to use. As it turns out it was unusual because I was not understanding how to use it.

There is nothing unusual about LOR other than it makes my house stand out from the crowd.:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks to every one for helping me sort through this.

Neil M