Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there an easier way or did I find a cheat?

jwblazek

After hours of sequencing, I find it tedious to listen to short sections of a song over and over and try to match the beat of a sound or sound effect to the waveform. Then I came up with an idea. Using a dry erase marker, and slowing down playback as needed, I mark on the screen the start of the beat or sound. Then go back and fill in cell  I want to react to the sound at my dry erase hash marks.  I find it a lot faster.

Is there a simpler way?

I use the LOR Beat Wizard. Does a pretty darn good job for me.

I've used it for years on my own and client sites. Let it do it's thing and program from there. 

Don't overthink the sequencing. 99.9% of the time you will be the only one to see that one little section that's off by .01 seconds......

Thanks Don. I use the beat wizard as well, but for that occasional set of footsteps or other non repetitive beat, I find it more work, unless I just need more practice

Edited by jwblazek
Typo

A section that's non-repetitive will usually be in the same time signature as the song. Off the top of my head I don't know of many 4/4 songs that have a sub 3/4 beat in them. In the case where the song goes into 8th or 16th notes for a time, then I'd just duplicate the grid, and sub-divide the cells in question. (Or take the same effect from a quarter note section, paste to cell, repeat X times.)

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:00 PM, jwblazek said:

After hours of sequencing, I find it tedious to listen to short sections of a song over and over and try to match the beat of a sound or sound effect to the waveform. Then I came up with an idea. Using a dry erase marker, and slowing down playback as needed, I mark on the screen the start of the beat or sound. Then go back and fill in cell  I want to react to the sound at my dry erase hash marks.  I find it a lot faster.

Is there a simpler way?

Why not use the tapper wizard?  It is the same thing you are doing with the dry erase.  The tapper will fill in the cell when you tap it or you can have it make your timing marks.

On 8/1/2016 at 10:07 PM, Don said:

I use the LOR Beat Wizard. Does a pretty darn good job for me.

I've used it for years on my own and client sites. Let it do it's thing and program from there. 

Don't overthink the sequencing. 99.9% of the time you will be the only one to see that one little section that's off by .01 seconds......

I'm with Don.  In about the length of time it takes you to uncap your dry erase marker, the Beat Wizard will find and mark the beats for you.  I've also used it on every sequence (except 1) that I've ever written, both for my own display and for all my clients.

That doesn't mean a person can't spend hours and hours manually achieving results that are almost as good as the Beat Wizard.  But why?  Wouldn't you rather spend that time doing something creative rather than frustrating yourself?

And I'm on board with not sweating a .01 second variable.  (Although I personally wouldn't tolerate it.)  ;)  But when you get to .02 second variances, that's when you're going to start seeing people's eyes twitching a little when two items next to or near each other don't light at the exact same instant. 

I for one use both the "Beat Wizard" & the "Wave Form" as I am one picky guy for preciseness. I don't just do the beat I do other instruments too like guitar playing, trumpets, words etc. Yes that part takes time & yes I may need to listen to the whole song 250 times (good thing I like the song) but in the end I get 15 to 17 songs done for my display for that season & I can live with that, plus I get some songs done for others as well.

Of course there is thread where John Storms explains something you might find useful 

I miss those times of doing regular musical sequencing now that I am doing ccr / ccp tree sequences.....takes more time to do.

The easiest way to do anything is to pay someone  to do it for you.