Light-O-Rama Forums

Output from LOR to a TV

CKSedg

Can anyone help me understand how to use a flat screen TV for a scrolling sign--to show what's playing, and other short messages?  I have an extra TV that I can put in the window, but I'm not sure how to get the information formatted for the TV.  This would be in place of a Beta Brite that many people use.

Thanks,

CKSedg

LOR does not create the video in any way shape or form.  LOR simply uses a video media file (which normally has audio) in place of the normal audio media file.

Create a video using whatever video editing software you have available with the music for that song as the audio in that video.  Then in LOR, use the video file instead of the audio file as the media file attached to that sequence.

I have never used video in LOR, so details about playing the file and getting it full screen on your presumably second monitor are not in my expertise.

• 2 months later...

I'm not looking for a video.  I want text going across the screen like with a beta brite.  Is that video in this case?  I am currently outputting to RDS.  Could that same file be used on a TV someway?

The way most people do it is a small Matrix, it will be like a larger version of your betabrite. I use a 9x18 Matrix as a sign out in the yard then you can display your song your tune to frequency and anything else you want. I often throw little things in that are related to the song on The Matrix. There's a joke here I have to go with, so are you going to take the blue pill or the red pill?

6 hours ago, CKSedg said:

I'm not looking for a video.  I want text going across the screen like with a beta brite.  Is that video in this case?  I am currently outputting to RDS.  Could that same file be used on a TV someway?

A tv wont know what to do with the RDS file.  I think I see what you are wanting to do.  A program which sees the RDS file and displays the contents on the tv as a beta brite would.   Something like this 'maybe' could be done with effort.  Let me redirect you out of the box for a moment.   It would be MUCH easier to format a web page and just a have a browser open on the 'monitor' which may be a tv.     Each sequence has a shell command for the song already so this would expand on that.  The command would open HTML doc or change a template for the browser.   

I think your best bet is to create a video file with any of the free video software tools available.  You could then add your  file as your source or you could just put the information on a loop.  

If you have already have RDS files down,  you are just a few steps away from generating a web page.  If this is just for your monitor visible to your guests then you dont even need to have a webhost.  

Here is a snap of my site which shows the playing song and the following songs in the playlist.  This is all triggered by the windows shell command.    

This page is visible to all guests on their phones.    

MiipPlayingNow.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your help on this subject.  I still haven't got it working yet, but I am trying!  I appreciate your suggestion.