Light-O-Rama Forums

My problems are already starting: Computer can't find LOR Port

Roxxxtar

2nd year of LOR. Everything went basically fine last year. 3 controllers. Showtime Central

Hooked up controller 1 to computer. Opened Hardware Utility Popup: Unable to locate Light O Rama port

Same for controller 2 and 3.

Changed cat5 cable. Same results. The led light continues to blink inside each controller, and is never a steady on, which is telling me there is a problem.

Hitting refresh or even auto configure gives me the same results.

I did upgrade to WIndows 10 since last year, but it's still the same laptop.

Any help would be most appreciated.

So have you opened up a sequence? Does the LED still blink on the controller?

Edited by Santas Helper

I can't run a sequence if the computer doesn't even recognize that a controller is hooked up, can I?

Yep, you sure can. Open sequence editor as if you were going to test that sequence.

The reason I suggest this is because there has been countless times where the HU and computer didn't act like they saw each other but when opening SE, all of a sudden they play nice together.

It's just a test I have used or suggested many times and many times it works. Not all the time, but many times it does.

Hopefully it does for you. :)

Edited by Santas Helper

Close out of the HU and open the sequence editor. You can't have both up at the same time.

I'm not home right this minute, so I can run a sequence. I'll do it when I arrive and let you know the results.

3 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Close out of the HU and open the sequence editor. You can't have both up at the same time.

I didn't.

My whole goal here, is just to make sure everything is working perfectly. I finished up my sequences for this year, last week. Connecting each controller to the laptop for testing went fine last year. So it's been driving me nuts the last two days as to why I can't get the pc to recognize them now. Thanks for working with me.

Edited by Roxxxtar

Hey, I've been there and needed help. And still do when new stuff/updates come out. It's what we do/need to be good at learning this hobby.

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

With windows 10, there has been some flakey stuff/errors with LOR, from what I've noticed from posts. It may be a matter of reinstalling software too. But I would suggest playing a sequence through SE first before going deeper in software issues and troubleshooting.

Running one of my  sequences did nothing. The LED light in the controller box is still flashing. The computer still does not recognize my controller. When I first open HU, I get this message.

The serial port Comm3 assigned to LOR has a problem. You may need to select another port. Open of serial Port 3 has failed. 

Error: 8002 invalid port number.

While: executing port open property

Sorry to hear Rox, Sometimes that process does work when the HU isn't helping. I'm sure someone here will chime in. I would create a ticket with LOR though. They should be able to help.

Have you checked the port with something else to see if it is working properly? During my second year for some reason I had to re assign the port number before LOR would see it. I don't know why this worked but it did. Here's the vid I used to do it...

I read last night about changing the port number. And that is yet another problem. Windows 10 doesn't give you the option anymore (at least I couldn't find it) of changing the port number. When you open device manager, this is what you see. You can see Ports (Com & LPT) is no longer listed.

2 hours ago, oilmoney said:

Have you checked the port with something else to see if it is working properly? During my second year for some reason I had to re assign the port number before LOR would see it. I don't know why this worked but it did. Here's the vid I used to do it...

zzzz.PNG

OK...I was able to resolve the port issue manually. I'm going to post how in case anyone has the same problem in the future... 1. Click Start – Search for cmd, right-click cmd and select “Run as Administrator”
2. From the command prompt, run “hdwwiz.exe“. This should launch the “Add Hardware Wizard“. Click Next.
hddwiz1-300x232.png
3. Select “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” and click Next.

Now......I have to leave, and I don't have time to see if changing the port number is going to solve my problem of the controllers not showing up on my pc. Thanks for trying to help, and I'll let you know my results later today.

Definitely not a big fan of upgrading operating systems and the one I have now (Windows 7) works just fine with LOR (If it ain't broke don't fix it).  When the support for it is no longer it'll be time to get a new computer with the newest available operating system.

I'm also running

Windows 7 for my main computer, but my show computer is running XP. I have no desire to upgrade my main computer to Win 10. And the show computer won't even support Win 7, so it's not changing. I completely agree about not doing upgraded - clean install only.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android