Light-O-Rama Forums

2.0.14 Spacebar playback

mcdeo

I don't see this issue/behavior mentioned yet.

When in the sequence editor, and the 'visible selection' option is used for playback, using the space bar always starts from where the selection is set at or ended at which isn't necessarily within the current visible section.

If I jump ahead to say the 2 minute mark and hit the play icon, it starts at the start of the visible screen. If I stop the sequence with the stop icon it stops at a location. If I then hit the space bar, it starts from the last location (which it should). However, I now jump to the 1 minute mark and hit the space bar, the sequence continues from the last known selection near the 2 minute mark. But if I do the same jump from 2 minute to 1 minute mark, hit the play icon, it starts from the visible section at the 1 minute mark.

I closed the application, re-opened my sequence, and have the same issue.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or is it built this way.

And yes, I love the space bar option. I know it's a change, but it's more industry consistent.

Let me know what's going on. I hope I explained this clear enough.

Thanks again.

mcdeo wrote:

I don't see this issue/behavior mentioned yet.

When in the sequence editor, and the 'visible selection' option is used for playback, using the space bar always starts from where the selection is set at or ended at which isn't necessarily within the current visible section.

If I jump ahead to say the 2 minute mark and hit the play icon, it starts at the start of the visible screen. If I stop the sequence with the stop icon it stops at a location. If I then hit the space bar, it starts from the last location (which it should). However, I now jump to the 1 minute mark and hit the space bar, the sequence continues from the last known selection near the 2 minute mark. But if I do the same jump from 2 minute to 1 minute mark, hit the play icon, it starts from the visible section at the 1 minute mark.

I closed the application, re-opened my sequence, and have the same issue.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or is it built this way.

And yes, I love the space bar option. I know it's a change, but it's more industry consistent.

Let me know what's going on. I hope I explained this clear enough.

Thanks again.

This is the correct behavior. Spacebar always plays the highlighted section if there is one. If there isn't a highlighted section, it will play the play menu choice "visible screen" in this case. The play button will always use the play menu choice and not the highlighted choice. Note that some menu options like selection, play from, etc. use the selection.

Also, it's worth noting that there are two different ways to highlight. You can go up to the timescale and highlight the timeline independent of selecting cells in the program. In this case, spacebar will only play the selection highlighted on the timescale. The play button will only play the highlighted selection in the cells. Spacebar and the play button are designed to play different things if you have any highlights.

Spacebar order of operations:
1. Will play highlighted selection of the timescale. If none,
2. Will play highlighted selection in the cells. If none,
3. Will play whichever option you have selected in the play menu.

Clear as mud? It takes a little playing around to get used to, but I love having the ability for two separate selections at the same time.

Michael's overall idea is correct - the space bar behaves differently than the play button by design. The details of his description are a little off, though (if I'm reading them correctly). Here's the way it really is:

The Play Button (or "Play" on the Play menu):

• Always uses the "Play Range" set in the Play menu.
The Space Bar
  • If a freeform play range has been selected, uses it.
  • Otherwise, if there is a selection, play will start at the start of the current selection, and will end at the end of the sequence (which is like the "From Selection" choice of play range).
  • Otherwise, the entire sequence will be played.

The space bar doesn't pay any attention to what play range has been selected in the Play menu.

bob wrote:

• Otherwise, if there is a selection, play will start at the start of the current selection, and will end at the end of the sequence (which is like the "From Selection" choice of play range).

As an aside, it seems the only way to remove the current selection (un-select) is to close the sequence and re-open it without clicking anywhere. Is this correct?

Steven wrote:

bob wrote:

As an aside, it seems the only way to remove the current selection (un-select) is to close the sequence and re-open it without clicking anywhere. Is this correct?

Yes. Well, just to be safe and clear:

I think some people have recently been using the word "selection" to mean "the freeform play range". If that's what you mean, there are other ways to clear it.

But if you mean the area that has a thick black border around it, then yes.