Light-O-Rama Forums

Music and Events OFF

rushonerok

First I create a new musical sequence and use the tapper wizard to create my events. I press play to check that the events hit on key notes in the song. I let it play all the way through the end - all events are on beat.

I switch the play range to "Visible Screen". I am at the end of the song still and click play to hear the last part over again. When it plays back the music and events are off. The music seems to play a split second before the event.

If I switch the play range back to "Full Sequence" and play it from the begnning it plays fine.

This also happens randomly in the middle of a sequence when I am editing a play range by "Visible Screen". The music will be a split second faster than the events.

I am using 2.0.14. I would notice this sometimes in 1.6.3 (version I had before) but it wasn't as prevelant.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Audio files that are built in certain ways sometimes behave like this... the problem seems to be that when we tell Windows to play the file "from time 3:07 to time 3:37", Windows really just plays it "from sometime near 3:07 to sometime near 3:37".

Many people have had luck fixing problems like this by running the audio file through some sort of audio editing program, such as Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net ), and using the new audio file that it creates instead of the old audio file.

Please let me know if you would like more specific information about how to do this.

The file I am using is an MP3 I downloaded. I have Cool Edit Pro so I'll run it through that to see if it helps. I'll try converting it to wav format also and trying that.

I'll post my results tonight. Thanks for the tip!

I re-encoded the MP3 with Cool Edit Pro but had the same problem.

When I converted it to WAV format it did fix the problem!

I guess I will just convert all of the songs I want to sequence to WAV format first, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

Wav files work the best but they are a bit larger and will not work on the director cards. They are fine for PC run shows.

I have had 100% success using the Audacity program to re-encode the MP3 files (it uses the lame encoder). We recommend 128k but that is mainly because it gives good compression and a sound quality that exceeds the capacity of FM transmitters and outdoor speakers.

As Bob mentioned many MP3 files cannot be "jumped" into by Windows Media Player (which is used by LOR software). The main cause of the miss is that some MP3 files are encoded with a variable bit rate. Audacity creates fixed bit rate files which are necessary so that Widows Media Player can predict the exact location in the file for a particular time.

There are a couple of documents on the support page at http://www.lightorama.com/support.html that describe ripping MP3s and how to use Audacity to prepare MP3 files for the Sequence Editor.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Wav files work the best but they are a bit larger and will not work on the director cards. They are fine for PC run shows.

By "a bit larger" you really mean "about 500% larger". (This is not a problem with modern disk drives.)

Ya it doesn't matter since I use a PC. Actually the MP3 I re-encoded was using a constant bit rate but it still gave me the problem. I'll try audacity tonight because Cool Edit Pro was using mp3PRO to encode. Maybe there is something different between the two that will fix it.

Steven wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

By "a bit larger" you really mean "about 500% larger". (This is not a problem with modern disk drives.)

Yes... I do have a tendency to understate things.:) Thanks for making it clear that wav files are MUCH larger.

Dan

rushonerok wrote:

Ya it doesn't matter since I use a PC. Actually the MP3 I re-encoded was using a constant bit rate but it still gave me the problem. I'll try audacity tonight because Cool Edit Pro was using mp3PRO to encode. Maybe there is something different between the two that will fix it.

If it does not work with Audacity and you have the time, please send a copy of the original MP3 file to support@lightorama.com so we can take a look at it.

Thanks

Dan