Light-O-Rama Forums

How to Change the # of Pixels for a Fixture in Visualizer

Ed K

I need to change the number of pixels in a simple fixture from 66 pixels to 88 pixels.  The Fixture Properties window from Visualizer (attached) shows the 66 pixels I originally specified for the fixture, but Visualizer does not allow me to change this field.

If I can't change # pixels in Visualizer's Fixture Properties window, is there another way to change  it, short of deleting the fixture and re-creating it again?

I'm using v4.3.4.

FixtureProperties_v1.PNG

Without redrawing the fixture, the Vis would not know where to physically put those additional pixels.  You need to delete and re-create the fixture/prop.

20 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Without redrawing the fixture, the Vis would not know where to physically put those additional pixels.  You need to delete and re-create the fixture/prop.

That makes sense, thanks for the quick reply.

I will preface this with the warning first:  Do this ONLY if you know what you are doing and make sure you backup the old version of the file.

IF - and only IF you have learned how to manually edit the xml file, you can change the number of pixels in a prop.  There are several parts that you have to edit EXACTLY correct, but it can be done.

Now the warning again:  Make sure you keep the original version so WHEN you mess it up, you can go back...

Thanks, K6ccc, for the assist on this.

I just deleted, then recreated, each of the selected props in Visualizer, then I imported the Visualization file into SuperStar.  In Visualizer, I ensured that all other field values for each replaced fixture/prop were the same as the original fixture/prop I replaced  (e.g., universe, starting pixel number, SuperStar row and column).

The more time consuming work was changing the effects in SuperStar, to account for the increased number of pixels in the replaced fixtures/props.  

Lessons learned:

1. Confirm the design of each prop/fixture before creating each in Visualizer.    
  2. Confirm that the specifications for each fixture/prop in your display is exactly what you will ultimately use, prior to developing any sequences.  In my case, I decided to change the spacing from 8" to 6" between C9 pixels for yard fixtures, which required I increase the number of pixels in each yard fixture/prop. 
  3. Use the "Force SuperStar row/column" for every prop in Visualizer.  Doing so, and importing the Visualizer file into SuperStar, allows each prop to be displayed in the SS sequencing grid exactly where you want each prop.   I had done this, which made it a bit easier to update my sequences in SuperStar.  

You are welcome Ed.

One of my ToDos is to figure out exactly how many GECE bulbs I'm going to use for strings along the yard to help keep people off the lawn.  I don't what to change it after I add those strings to all the sequences!

+1 on #3 as well

As an aside, changing the number of pixels for props in Pixel Editor was much simpler.

All I had to do in PE was to update the number of pixels.  To do this, in PE Tools | Manage Previews, I selected the preview containing my props, then I simply selected each prop I wanted to change, and updated the prop's number of pixels.  I did not have to delete, then re-create each prop.  I then saved the PE sequence file as an intensity file, and ran it in SE.  Two of the actual props I changed are hooked up now to my show PC, and my PE sequence worked just fine without any other changes.   

• Like 1

K6ccc,

I agree on having C9s in the yard for a little crowd control (but also for framing the display).  I decided to go with 6" spacing, rather than 8" spacing, for the yard because the C9s are closer to people who'll view the display from the street.  However, I'm not running C9 strings along the side walk, only on the perpendicular lines on the yard (e.g., left and right of driveway). Maybe in 2017? 

On my roof, I will use 8" spacing of C9s.

• 8 months later...

How vital is it to change the total # of Pixels in each strand in Visualizer?  I understand if importing the visualizer preview into SS or PE it would be, but if I'm not using SS and I'm manually setting up the props correctly in my PE preview, is it important for visualizer to match up?

5 minutes ago, Little_b said:

How vital is it to change the total # of Pixels in each strand in Visualizer?  I understand if importing the visualizer preview into SS or PE it would be, but if I'm not using SS and I'm manually setting up the props correctly in my PE preview, is it important for visualizer to match up?

If I understand the question, it's not critical at all.  For example if you have 75 pixels in a string in Visualizer, but only 50 in the sequence, Visualizer won't care that those extra 25 pixels never are commanded.

I have that somewhat routinely where a visualization has everything, but a sequence does not use it all.

Now in my case, I am using visualizations to setup the channel layout in SuperStar, so it becomes more important.