Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Where is the best place to get SPT-1 or SPT-2 wire? I've seen the prices on LOR for 500'

SPT-1: $75.95

SPT-2: $85.95

This price is better than other sites I have checked, but with my luck I'll hear that everyone buys from some other place at 1/2 that price. But I won't hear about it until NEXT February!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are pretty good prices, I have purchased the wire from Lowes and Home Depot At $47 for 250'. Last year I got the 500' of wire from LOR at their summer sale at a really good price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  The best I ever got was like 10 cents a foot.  From Skycraft surplus in Orlando fl

Edited by shfr26
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparatively the LOR price isn't bad, but if I can get a heavier gauge 100' extension cord from Home Depot for $16.97 ($8 if I could have caught that sale) then I just figured the lighter gauge wire would be available from somewhere at a better bulk price.

That works out to $85 for 500' of 16 gauge, 3 conductor cable.

HDX 100 ft. 16/3 Extension Cord

http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-100-ft-16-3-Extension-Cord-HD-277-525/100650619?cm_mmc=CJ-_-552179-_-11210757&AID=11210757&PID=552179&SID=VjBuMkZnb0tNcXdBQWdUb1JAMEFBQUEy&cj=true

SPT-1/2 are both 2 conductor 18AWG, and less insulation used.

Sure, this heavier stuff is orange, but I can paint 1000' any color I want for $2!

There has got to be a wholesaler out there that can get that price down for us. [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole point of the SPT wire is customization. If you have a 40' run you wouldn't run a 100' extension cord to it or you are wasting 60'. In the long run the SPT wire is cheaper as you can cut exact run lengths. Sure you could get five 100' extension cords for $85 but that is all you get, five runs with 500'. With the SPT you can get 30 runs with 500'.

Edited by Mr. P
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, EdNetman said:

.... but if I can get a heavier gauge 100' extension cord from Home Depot .... HDX 100 ft. 16/3 Extension Cord.... Sure, this heavier stuff is orange....,

However, will cost more in electricity, well so I've been told :

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

However, will cost more in electricity, well so I've been told :

 

Geeze, I thought that thread died.  :wacko:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The whole point of the SPT wire is customization. If you have a 40' run you wouldn't run a 100' extension cord to it or you are wasting 60'. In the long run the SPT wire is cheaper as you can cut exact run lengths. Sure you could get five 100' extension cords for $85 but that is all you get, five runs with 500'. With the SPT you can get 30 runs with 500'.


That and for most of our purposes, we don't need the current carrying capacity.  Especially for those using LEDs.  My heavest load channels that are on SPT are 200 count strings of LED mini-lights.  The exact length is REALLY nice too.  Don't forget about being FAR less weight and space for storage too.  Those six pieces of SPT that are each about 40 feet long take up less storage space than one 50 foot 16/3 extension cord.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mr. P - That was my point, the heavier gauge wire with 4 coats of insulation should indicate that a lower gauge 2 wire with 2 insulated conductors would be less expensive, not the same price.

@Mega Arch - I'm not an electrical engineer, but from what I understand the cost of electricity is based on the load. The power draw of the lights would dictate the load at any given time.

I could (in theory) cut the 100' cords so as to not waste lengths in my power runs, but in my case the problem is the opposite. I wanted the SPT in order to complete 200+' cable runs.

I have a few long distance runs across the yard and last year I killed a 500' role if SPT and only got 2 long runs and a few short patches.

I need bulk for my big (2 acres) yard. [emoji6]

I'll probably wait for the summer sale and pick up 4 roles but thought I would see if anyone had a secret supplier that they were willing to share. [emoji318]

Thanks for the info!

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of SPT, does anyone know of a good source of 3 or 4 conductor SPT?  I don't need connectors as I would be using it for pixels and one end will be soldered, and the other has the connector for SanDevices controllers. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EdNetman said:

@Mega Arch - I'm not an electrical engineer, but from what I understand the cost of electricity is based on the load. The power draw of the lights would dictate the load at any given time.

 

That is where you are wrong, the cost of electricity depends on the color of the extension cord.  :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a red cord that I use with the leaf blower, maybe I should switch to a green or blue one? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Speaking of SPT, does anyone know of a good source of 3 or 4 conductor SPT?  I don't need connectors as I would be using it for pixels and one end will be soldered, and the other has the connector for SanDevices controllers. 

 

I have used this wire in the past on my pixels with no issues:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290919809508?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, for pixels do you think the 22/4 would work? I think that's what the leads are anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EdNetman said:

Hmm, for pixels do you think the 22/4 would work? I think that's what the leads are anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ed, I use 22/3  for my pixels and power from board (not power injection), 48 feet is my longest run.

 

here is were I got my spt wire, Mega arch inadvertently turned me on to this site. I personally choose spt2 which was $76, and brown, less power consumption.:unsure:

http://www.actionlighting.com/spt1-7amp-bulk-zip-cord-wire-500ft-roll-100slawir1/

 

Edited by saxon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Pretty good prices and options. Plus I think we have a pretty good grasp of which colors draw the most power. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Check here, they have all kinds of wire, the spt1 and spt2 are part way down, the spt1 is $ 32.50 if you buy 4-250' rolls plus shipping. It looks like they have it only in black or brown, they have other colors, but at other prices.

http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cfm?category=Wire&subcategory=On the Roll or Loose

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have some I treating stuff there...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM, saxon said:

ed, I use 22/3  for my pixels and power from board (not power injection), 48 feet is my longest run.

 

here is were I got my spt wire, Mega arch inadvertently turned me on to this site. I personally choose spt2 which was $76, and brown, less power consumption.:unsure:

http://www.actionlighting.com/spt1-7amp-bulk-zip-cord-wire-500ft-roll-100slawir1/

 

22/3, do you have a link for this? I find 2 and 4 but haven't found any 3!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, larryk5 said:

22/3, do you have a link for this? I find 2 and 4 but haven't found any 3!

Took me while but I found it. 

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1546029504.html?productId=1546029504&productSubject=100m-lot-3pin-red-yellow-blue-cable-for-pixel-light-with-black-PVC-covered&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks saxon, just what I was looking for. Where you able to get reduced shipping? I didn't see any way to contact Ray on the site! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, larryk5 said:

Thanks saxon, just what I was looking for. Where you able to get reduced shipping? I didn't see any way to contact Ray on the site! 

Try this link, I this his is a mobile site.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100m-lot-3pin-red-yellow-blue-cable-for-pixel-light-with-black-PVC-covered-20AWG/1546029504.html

Edited by Mr. P
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, larryk5 said:

Thanks! That worked! Saxon must of been on a mobile device.

 

Glad it is what your after. I originally was looking for 18 but couldn't find it years ago but this wire has proved excellent. Now 18 is all over but I will stick to what has been working  

when I bought this it was with a bunch of other stuff and shipping was reasonable. I have contacted ray on smaller sales and he has reduced shipping for me. Yeah I won't take the shipping charge that comes with that one item either!!

yea I was on my mobile when I linked it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...