Light-O-Rama Forums

importing channel config issue

johnny christmas

ok, this year i had 48 channels and next year im only upping it another 32. so i went into a sequence and started adding the 32 channels, assigned controller numbers and channels and exported the file. all is good...had no issues when i dragged and dropped channels into areas i needed them and the whole row went with it unlike the first time i tried drag and drop where only the button moved...not the rows

my problem now is when i import the channel config into a sequence the buttons are all good but there are now 32 empty rows of cells at the bottom of my original 48...meaning...the channel buttons are all where i want them but thats it...no empty rows were inserted next to them...is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

is this making sense to anyone or should i try to explain it better?

I am going through a small upgrade of adding an additional 16 channels. I manually added the channels to a sequence then exported the config. I open a new sequence and make sure the existing channels are in the same order as the ones saved in the config file.

I import the config and it adds the new channel to bottom of my sequence. No problems. I am using 2.0.14 :dude:

johnny christmas wrote:

ok, this year i had 48 channels and next year im only upping it another 32. so i went into a sequence and started adding the 32 channels, assigned controller numbers and channels and exported the file. all is good...had no issues when i dragged and dropped channels into areas i needed them and the whole row went with it unlike the first time i tried drag and drop where only the button moved...not the rows

my problem now is when i import the channel config into a sequence the buttons are all good but there are now 32 empty rows of cells at the bottom of my original 48...meaning...the channel buttons are all where i want them but thats it...no empty rows were inserted next to them...is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. Could you please try to explain again?

I didn't understand this part:

You said "there are now 32 empty rows of cells at the bottom of my original 48". But then a moment later, you said "no empty rows were inserted next to [the new channel buttons]".

bob wrote:

johnny christmas wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. Could you please try to explain again?

I didn't understand this part:

You said "there are now 32 empty rows of cells at the bottom of my original 48". But then a moment later, you said "no empty rows were inserted next to [the new channel buttons]".
i meant no new rows were added next to the channel buttons where i moved them to...only at the bottom

i thought that when you import a config file the rows get inserted as well as the buttons...the rows ARE getting inserted, just not throughout my configuration where i put them in the original file...the rows are getting added at the bottom...my new buttons are scattered around

The saved configuration only saves the channels (buttons as you are referring to them) and their corresponding properties (controller, color, laber, etc.) The actual cells are native to the sequence you have open and are importing too.

Am I close? To test I started a new musical sequence with one channel set at .05 spacing. I then imported my config for 48 channels. What I was left with was one track with 48 channels with .05 second timings? I get the same result when I am merging my imported config to any current sequence.

The imported channels will start with the first channel in your sequence and go down. If you have more current channels than you are importing, your leftover channels will be at the bottom. If you are importing more channels than is currently in the sequence, LOR will add additional channels to the bottom of the sequence.

youre dead on

it would be nice that if you import a new configuration that the new one would just add whats new INCLUDING rows and not just buttons...now i have to add 32 channels to EACH of my songs from 07 that im going to use in 08 instead of just importing the config file and have all new rows open WHERE i put them and not at the bottom...its not a big deal for the new songs im planning but for the 30 minutes of music already sequenced im looking at an extra hour for EACH song ON TOP of sequencing the new 32 channels

johnny christmas wrote:

youre dead on

it would be nice that if you import a new configuration that the new one would just add whats new INCLUDING rows and not just buttons...now i have to add 32 channels to EACH of my songs from 07 that im going to use in 08 instead of just importing the config file and have all new rows open WHERE i put them and not at the bottom...its not a big deal for the new songs im planning but for the 30 minutes of music already sequenced im looking at an extra hour for EACH song ON TOP of sequencing the new 32 channels

Just to clarify your terminology, by rows do you mean the events (on, off, fade, etc.)? You probably know this, but the channel config is just that - information for the channels such as controller unit number, channel, color and the animation window. There is no event information stored in these config files.
Is you main issue the order of the channels in the old sequence being overwritten by the new additional channels? If so, you could insert new channels in the appropriate place in your existing sequences. If you right-click on a channel, you have the option of inserting channel(s) above or below that point. These would act as placeholders so when the new config is imported, your data is intact for your old channels. These screen shots might help explain:
Original Sequence
orig-channel.JPG

Insert 3 new channels below 'Roof Back' channel
add-new-channel.JPG

Import new channel config (note channel name change)
import-channel.JPG

Mark

Personally, I would not want the events recorded on the configuration. Only the channel properties. If there are specific events that you want to use over and over, just save as kind of a template. Then cut and past them in.

i dont want the events saved...just the rows that go with the buttons...when you load a new channel config into a sequence, that buttons row overwrites whats there and doesnt push the row down one...marks workaround makes it work...add blank channels where the new channels are and import the new config...the new channels fit in perfectly and dont overwrite

There really is no practical way for LOR to automatically 'push' the 'rows' ( I refer to it as an event timeline). How would it determine where the new channels are supposed to go? There are too many variables that make this impractical if not impossible.

Mark