Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II Disk

Texan78

I plan on getting the LOR I and then upgrading to LOR II this week. My question is I want to pay the extra $4 for the CD but since LOR II Gold releases any day now I would want the LOR II disk instead of the LOR I disk since it will be useless to me. So how can I order the LOR II disk after I upgrade? I don't want to pay $100+ again just to get the disk. Can I put the an order for the disk and then wait till it comes available to ship it? How would that work?

-Thanks

I don't know if this would cover everything, but what I do is burn a copy of the installation download on to a CD before installing. That way, I have a good backup.

I'm like you, I would also like a hardcopy if they become available, but if it would just be the file you download burned on a CD, then I guess I already have that.

So does this mean that LOR II will be available for download only?

What happens if your computers crashes or you need to reload it on a different comptuer or new comptuer? When LOR II GOLD comes out does that mean they will no longer offer the LOR I disk?

I know I can burn a copy but I don't know it that is against TOS.

In the OP's situation, here's what I've done.

Somewhere along the line, you purchased LOR1 and you received the original installation file (if you downloaded it) or perhaps it came on a CD. Either way, you have the original version of the LOR1 software.

All you need with that version to make the latest and greatest installation in case of a disk failure, etc. is the latest upgrade download (LOR I or II). So every time they release a new version upgrade file, I stash it away on my hard drive in a special folder that I back up on an external hard drive (long with all of my data files and LOR II files).

So to restore LOR from scratch, I would install from the original installation file and then perform the latest upgrade at that time. Then you'll be good to go.

Another tip of mine: Every time I install some software on my PC that I download (shareware, etc.), I always save the .exe or installation file before I run it. Then if I have to rebuild my computer, I have a complete collection of all the little applications (IrfanView, etc.) that I use to get my computer back up to snuff...Backups are the key! Buy an external hard drive if you don't have one...

I hope that helps....Randy

Mountainwxman wrote:

When LOR S2 comes out, it will be available on disk.

Dan mentioned this somewhere in a post. Just can't find it now.

Dan can we get a conformation on this? Also if this is true can you purchase the disk now and wait for it to ship when we purchase LOR I and then upgrade?

I don't want to burn anything onto disk as a lot of people would frown on that. I have a 120GB external but if my computer doesn't boot the external is not going to do me much good.

Texan78 wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
When LOR S2 comes out, it will be available on disk.

Dan mentioned this somewhere in a post. Just can't find it now.

Dan can we get a conformation on this? Also if this is true can you purchase the disk now and wait for it to ship when we purchase LOR I and then upgrade?

I don't want to burn anything onto disk as a lot of people would frown on that. I have a 120GB external but if my computer doesn't boot the external is not going to do me much good.

S2 will be available on disk and it will be a minimal charge for the upgrade on CD (just S&H charges). The biggest holdup in the final release of the software has been the method of distribution. We want to get a better tracking mechanism into place to help protect our very large investment in the software.

One thing that we have agreed to is that S2 will be a household/family licensed product so you can install it on all of your machines (and you work machine;)).

We are not selling S2 yet and there isn't a way to pre-purchase the CD.

LightORamaDan wrote:

One thing that we have agreed to is that S2 will be a household/family licensed product so you can install it on all of your machines (and you work machine;)).

Good deal, I like that idea. It makes a lot more sense to do it that way. It was discussed on PC and this poor guy got ripped for considering it. I am glad to see the lic is going to be changed for the household.

So just so I am clear when the disk becomes available current LOR II users will only need to pay S&H correct if they want it on disk?

How about offering a pre-order for the LOR II disk option when someone purchases LOR I. That way when it does become available you can ship it and you know they have paid. Maybe an option in the drop down box on the purchase page for this?