Light-O-Rama Forums

InputPup power requirement

k6ccc

The InputPup takes power from a nearby controller via the Cat-5 cable, so no separate power is required to it (although it does have a screw terminal for power in).  That was fine until last weekend when I re-arranged my two networks that are used year round (enhanced vs non-enhanced).  Now the InputPup is the only controller on the non-enhanced network so there is no controller for it get power from.  There is plenty of both AC and 12 volt DC power available in the location where it is mounted, however the InputPup specifies 9 volts.  Right now I'm using a wall wart for it that I had laying around, but I would prefer to run it off of the 30 amps of 12V DC that is available. 

How picky is the InputPup on input voltage?  Can I just run it off the existing 12V supply (which really means 13 or so), or do I need to regulate that down to something close to 9V (which I can do)?

If I am not mistaken there is a power regulator on the board, and the board actually runs at 5V (don't quote me on that, I don't have mine handy to look at).  I'm looking at a picture of the pup, and the vReg is (I think) that tiny 3 legged surface mount thing to the left of the electrolytic cap.

If that is true, that looks a little small to be feeding it 12V.  The only heat sink is the copper on the board, and you are going to have to dump a lot of excess wattage as heat.

Again, don't quote me.  If you open a Help Desk ticket, I'll get it over to engineering and they can tell you for sure.  

If however you have a 12v to something close to 7-9V regulator laying around, I would use that.  Ebay usually has them for around $1.25.

(edit:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596S-ADJ-DC-DC-Buck-Regulator-Power-Module-3A-Adjustable-5V-12V-24V-/191095436739?hash=item2c7e2cf5c3:g:TpQAAOxyCGNTMqQ~)

Dropping voltage is easy in lots of ways (especially for low currents).  I'll just leave it on the 9V wall wart until I have time to make / buy / install a regulator to make 8 to 9 volts from my 13 volt supply.

Thanks Mike

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Dropping voltage is easy in lots of ways (especially for low currents).  I'll just leave it on the 9V wall wart until I have time to make / buy / install a regulator to make 8 to 9 volts from my 13 volt supply.

Thanks Mike

I suppose a diode or 2 would work :)

Actually Mike, that is a cute little buck converter you posted yesterday. I have a few on order, but they won't get here for at least a month. I will do something quick and dirty in the next day or so. And yes, that might be a few diodes - have to see what is in the junk box. As I said, dropping a couple volts is easy.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

I find those little regulators are about the most handy thing I have in the electronics junk box.  Not to mention they are cheaper pre-built than I can order the parts for! :)  At a $1.25 you can't go wrong.  

I even installed one in my car off the fuse block to provide 5V to my dash cam.I   have a couple of different types, including ones with screw terminals.  

I used to have a gigantic box of wall warts sitting around for testing.  Now on the bench I have one 18V@3A brick and one of these (well, one like it).  Cheapest regulated bench power supply EVER (for up to 2A)!

On 4/28/2016 at 9:45 AM, DevMike said:

I find those little regulators are about the most handy thing I have in the electronics junk box.  Not to mention they are cheaper pre-built than I can order the parts for! :)  At a $1.25 you can't go wrong.

You are not kidding!  The regulator chip itself would cost more than the entire regulator.  Like I said, I ordered several of them.  I have a couple that will go into service as soon as I receive them (including the InputPup that started this thread).

On 4/28/2016 at 9:45 AM, DevMike said:

I used to have a gigantic box of wall warts sitting around for testing.  Now on the bench I have one 18V@3A brick and one of these (well, one like it).  Cheapest regulated bench power supply EVER (for up to 2A)!

Frankly,I had never thought about using something like this.  I liked that idea enough that I ordered the exact one you linked.  Since that was available Amazon Prime, I received it yesterday and for now, it went into service last night powering my InputPup until the $1.25 ones arrive from Hong Kong.  After that I will use it as a bench regulator along with my existing 24V supply.

Thanks for the tip.