Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting a new pc for lor this week.

Ralph D

HI everyone. I wanted to get everyones input on screen size, and any important specs i need to have for the future of lor with my new pc. i want to get something thats going to last me a couple of years, unlike to crap i have now that i bought less then a year ago.

1)So if im going to spend some money what should i make sure i get. and should i get xp pro....vista....or should i go mac.

2)My question about screen size is because as we all know we never have enough room to show our layout and edit at the same time, so what are my options, I know ive seen some people have two screens to do editing with and ive always like the idea but i have no idea how i would hook that up and the setting to do this. could anyone explain this to me. and if you do this already, could you tell me how to do this my self and if you have photos of how things are hooked up that would help too.

3)Totally separate question. for those of you that build you units, with the unit that does not need any soldering, about how long does it take to build one. don't laugh wondering why the heck is he asking because id go broke with the 9 new units i need for this upcoming season. so i thought if i could put 2 or 3 hours a week for the next couple of months i could pull this off. In my younger days i was very good at putting together pc boards and components and it doesn't seem overly hard. any input. My thoughts are if i bought 2 a month or something like that id be in great shape by the summer.:P

Thanks everyone.

Check the compatibility of your other hardware before you upgrade to vista.

I lost a perfectly working scanner because the manufacturer did not provide a driver.

After using LOR I on XP and VISTA, I would have to say that I liked XP better (if that is of any help to you).

2nd the XP advise. Microsoft will soon be releasiing updates for both XP (SP3) and Vista (SP1). Early indications on the XP are very positive. Vista has been very problematic. I have not heard how stable the Vista service pack is but some internet searching should provide the info.

Ralph. This is the Unit I had made in early 07. If you hook up 2 monitors you have to have video card that has two outputs. Built the ultimate sequencing machine. HP with Intel Core 2 quad processors, 4GB ram, 512mb Nvidia 8500GT video card and wireless. With 2 HP W2207 monitors that flip up to portrait mode so I have a screen 24" wide and 22" high. In portrait I can work on 105 channels and see the animation without moving the screen. Happy Holidays.
Attached Image (viewed 433 times):

attachment.php?id=8244

ve a video card with two outputs.

• 1 month later...

I have to say Vista is quite a cool setup once you get it insalled on new hardware, and turn off the darn OS firewall which Microsoft calls UAC.

John Sauer wrote:

Ralph. This is the Unit I had made in early 07. If you hook up 2 monitors you have to have video card that has two outputs. Built the ultimate sequencing machine. HP with Intel Core 2 quad processors, 4GB ram, 512mb Nvidia 8500GT video card and wireless. With 2 HP W2207 monitors that flip up to portrait mode so I have a screen 24" wide and 22" high. In portrait I can work on 105 channels and see the animation without moving the screen. Happy Holidays.

attachment.php?id=8244

confused0053.gifconfused0053.gifconfused0053.gif

My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw that. Time for me to buy some new monitors!

John Sauer wrote:

attachment.php?id=8244

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Man am I dribbling, this is so way cool. Now I really need to sweeten the wife up. Any ideas guy's? I know flowers won't work on this!!!!!

Pete. :shock:

iresq wrote:

You could always try to the forgiveness vs permission thing (at your own risk!)

I'm shaking reading this reply, Infact I think I need a drink right now!:(

Thanks iresq. May have to pass on this one as I'm not brave enough!!!! :D

There is no other way to sequence IMHO. A few that I know of have the same setup. Wirekat, Holdman that I know of.

I was traveling in Nov of last year with sequencing still yet to be completed. Doing it on a laptop screen with 240 channels was very trying. Even borrowing hotel monitors at 19' was better, but you get spoiled with a 24"x24" set up.

Dale, Dale, DALE! I let my wife sit in front of them all fired up. Showed her how good some of her stuff looks in all that granduer. Then I showed her how it would help me with seqencing and she just shook her head. My motto is hook the wife in, and you don't have to worry about the justification.

zman wrote:

Dale, Dale, DALE! I let my wife sit in front of them all fired up. Showed her how good some of her stuff looks in all that granduer. Then I showed her how it would help me with seqencing and she just shook her head. My motto is hook the wife in, and you don't have to worry about the justification.

that would have worked -- years ago. But there have been too many times I went to Target or some other store with the intention of getting a single box of lights only to come home with a truck full.

LOR or a cool second monitor..... hmmm...... I will have to figure out a way for both.

Mark,

your wife loves Christmas as much as you though.... some of us don't have spouses that share all that enthusiasm. Now if I let her sit down to sequence, She's say buy it after 2 minutes :)

Darren