Light-O-Rama Forums

How does a Solid State Relay work

Guest guest

Hello All

Can one or all channels of a LOR controller control a high current Solid State Relay with a 120 volt low current input and switch the high current load side of the relay and will it shimmer, twinkle and fade the load. I am not sure how a Solid State Relay works. I am more familiar with a normal relay that has a coil to control the contacts in the relay. I think it will turn the relay off and on, but not sure about the other options and if it will only turn the relay off and on how fast will the switching be. I want to control a lot of C-9 strings with one channel and some colored flood lights with another channel. Just trying to control more lights with less controllers. Don't we all.

Thanks Kevin

Bill Foley wrote:

You can control a 120v input ssr but you will loose the dimming and fading capabilities.

I think that with a random SSR you may be able to get dimming to work as well. You may need to put a little load on the SSR's input. I am not sure if there is enough of a load to trigger the triac so a little test would be required.

EAB wrote:

Can a 120volt input on an SSR control a 54volt load off a transformer?
It depends on the SSR. The SSR will have an INPUT voltage range and an OUTPUT voltage range. If 120 is within the input range and 54 is within the output range then it will work.