Light-O-Rama Forums

USB-RS485 vs USB485-HS adapter

Cstmkr

I am in need of a new USB-RS485 adapter. I am running six LOR 16 channel controllers and one CMB-24D. I see the High Speed adapter is on sale for the Mad Grab. I do not really require the High Speed, but since the sale price makes it less expensive than the slower adapter, I should have no issues using the faster one? Just wanted to confirm. Thanks in advance!! :) 

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I will purchase the high speed adapter. I particularly like George's response... "I might not require the higher speed TODAY." That's exactly what I told my wife last night. CCR's and pixels may be added before you know it! :)

You don't need the faster one for RGB pixels, either.  I have been running RGB on the slower one with no issue.  That being said, I would still buy the faster one, because better to have too much than too little when you do need it.

On 4/6/2016 at 4:50 PM, Dcroc said:

You don't need the faster one for RGB pixels, either.  I have been running RGB on the slower one with no issue.  That being said, I would still buy the faster one, because better to have too much than too little when you do need it.

I agree 100%. Last year I used one high speed and one non high speed on my ccr tree and there were no issues whatsoever. Go for the hs one though because you can't go wrong with it.

OK, I bought the HS adapter. I bought another 16 channel controller while I was at it. I couldn't resist. LOL!  Can't wait to test it out. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thanks, Cstmkr for your post.......I just got 4 50W rgb floods and the Hi Speed Adapter at the sale and I was wondering if I made the right choice to upgrade from my  current slower one and this thread solved my doubts

On 4/6/2016 at 2:50 PM, Dcroc said:

It all depends on how many pixels you are running and how fast transitions you have.  I'm going to clarify something too.  Since we're talking about the LOR RS-485 adapters, this discussion about pixels specifically applies only to LOR Cosmic Color Devices (with one exception noted below).  If you are using E1.31, it's normally connected via ethernet and not a LOR network.

The exception is non-LOR RGB pixels can be driven by a PixCon 16 controller using the LOR interface.