Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Components

Duke

Are there any components in the DIY kits that are proprietary or exclusive to LOR? I understand that there is an EEPROM for the firmware and a micro controller chip but was curious as to anything special that one could not buy "off the shelf".

I was toying with the idea of creating a 24 channel version rather than having to buy an 8 channel assembled board and having to combine it with a 16 channel kit or board. I could use a 24 channel version in several locations throughout my display this year. My plan is to have several 7 segment leaping arches using Red, Green and White colors which would require 21 channels. The 2 of the remaining 3 channels would be for "splashes" at the end of each arch and the 24th channel would be to light a gift box or feature centered under the arch. The controller could even reside inside the gift box. :)

Another feature that I am contemplating is rectangular tri-color LED array panels (R-G-W) and again there would be a set of 7 of these hanging from each of 2 eaves for a total of 14. They would be created using coro and either 50 or 70 count LED strings of each color on each panel. The panels would measure about 8" X 30" for the "short" versions using the 50ct strings and 8" X 38" using the 70ct strings. I have 2 different lengths because of the different eave sizes on my house.

In my '07 display (my first with LOR) I did not have much of anything that I was able to use a chase effect on except for my 5 windows on the front of the house.

'08 is going to be much more dramatic with the addition of the arrays, arches, 16 minis, 12 "flying" reindeer, 11 jumpin' santas, 10 skaters skating........ you get the idea. :)

a thought about moving the triacs off the board and mount them separately and wire them directly thru a Terminal block. This way I could possibly have a box capable of controlling 128 amps!!!!. But I did not continue out of respect to Dan's Design Rights. Before you modify or build off Dan's design you might want to check with him.

I thought I was pioneering new ground only to find out it's already been done. Not Dan's design but a home brewed version. Oh well, it was just a thought. Now how to stuff an 8 channel and a 16 channel into one box and make it look like a present. :?