Light-O-Rama Forums

The lights with the new IC P9883

luis.torres

Greetings to all
I wonder if the lights with the new IC P9883 is compatible with the Pixcon controller. These lights if one is damaged the other lights will not turn off, jump the damaged and continuous (signal breakpoint continuous transmission).
(one pixel damaged will not affect the other LEDs'working, Dual-signal wires; uses 4 wire ). If it supported, the address assignment remains the same or sequence changes if a light is damaged.

Thank

From "La Isla del Encanto" Puerto Rico

First, do you have a link to the pixels?

Second, do they say anything like "Uses WS2811 Protocol" or something like that?

I seem to recall seeing something about these awhile back. If memory serves, they use WS2811 and if that;'s the case, then, yes they will work.

I could be 100% wrong though, so don't take my reply to heart just yet.

Edit: I just found them on Ray's site. It doesn't say although he has controllers for them. the PixCon will run this list of protocols

Supports the following pixel protocols (only one type at a time per controller):

• TLS3001
  • SM16716
  • LPD6803
  • WS2801
  • WS2811/12/12B/APA104
  • TM180x
  • MBI6020
  • INK1003
  • APA102

Unless this is a clone of one of the above Pixel Protocols, I sort of doubt the PixCon will run them.

Edited by Ron Boyd

The lights using the IC P9883 is new for this year. I want to know, is whether the Pixcon can work with these lights?

As I said before, the advantage of these lights is, when one of pixel is damaged will not affect the other LEDs'working

I use WS2811 and when a pixel is damaged, the signal does not pass to the next and the entire segment will not start(turns off)..It is for this reason that I would like that new technology.

Yes , It is in Ray's site.

I have a few damaged WS2811's that I just cut out the damaged section, re-solder in a working piece and use ample silicon seal and am back in business. A coupe strips have been repaired a few times...for some reason one of my cats seems to want to chew on the silicon covering when I'm not watching...the perils of an open basement. Use a low wattage iron and be gentle with your work. They are easy to repair if you take your time and are careful.

On 10/03/2016 at 8:54 AM, Rockhammer53 said:

I have a few damaged WS2811's that I just cut out the damaged section, re-solder in a working piece and use ample silicon seal and am back in business. A coupe strips have been repaired a few times...for some reason one of my cats seems to want to chew on the silicon covering when I'm not watching...the perils of an open basement. Use a low wattage iron and be gentle with your work. They are easy to repair if you take your time and are careful.

Yes. Splicing in a new one is probably the best thing to do.

These pixels are designed for permanent installations, that were installed by a professional, and are possibly in a hard to each location. They can't call someone out every time a pixel fails and causes the whole string to go out. With P9883s, only one pixel will be affected so it would not be such a problem.

Our lights are normally accessible and we have time to constantly tinker and fix things, even when the lights are up, so we don't have such a need for "dual wire" pixels.

I have not seen this type in strips yet.