Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Channels controlled through Intensity 0-100

michael.farney

Ok, so I've been playing around with a moving head, and I've discovered that the limitation of 0-100 for LOR intensity means I can not hit some of the values on my color wheel! :shock: When in linear mode, the dmx values rotate the color wheel independently of where the actual colors begin and end. So, as long as two colors are next to each other on the wheel, you can put those two colors on at whatever percentage you want. Top 25% red, middle/bottom 75% blue. 33% and 66%, 50% 50%, whatever percentage you want. The problem is, with this setup, unless the LOR DMX value hits the 100% 0% pairing exactly, I can not do solid colors! I'll always end up with 90% the color I want and 10% of something else. Some of the colors do hit the LOR values perfectly, others are pretty close, and some are just bad (like 10% of another color.) So...will we ever be able to truly set a DMX channel for 0-255?

I can turn off the linear function and get big enough ranges for the colors that LOR supports it fine, but then split colors are out of the question.

michael.farney wrote:

Ok, so I've been playing around with a moving head, and I've discovered that the limitation of 0-100 for LOR intensity means I can not hit some of the values on my color wheel! :shock: When in linear mode, the dmx values rotate the color wheel independently of where the actual colors begin and end. So, as long as two colors are next to each other on the wheel, you can put those two colors on at whatever percentage you want. Top 25% red, middle/bottom 75% blue. 33% and 66%, 50% 50%, whatever percentage you want. The problem is, with this setup, unless the LOR DMX value hits the 100% 0% pairing exactly, I can not do solid colors! I'll always end up with 90% the color I want and 10% of something else. Some of the colors do hit the LOR values perfectly, others are pretty close, and some are just bad (like 10% of another color.) So...will we ever be able to truly set a DMX channel for 0-255?

I can turn off the linear function and get big enough ranges for the colors that LOR supports it fine, but then split colors are out of the question.

There will be a release of LOR II that allows you to select exact DMX values. It should be later this year when we also add the support for all 512 channels.

Dan

• 2 months later...

michael.farney wrote:

I have been plagued by similar problems. I have found that I can almost get the colors I want by approximating the % value to decimal. 1% = 2.55.

i can't wait til the new release of S2 - I need the 512 control channels of DMX (my new leds use 150 channels each string)

chris

I found your post on PC which states:

"I have been using 5 strands (125'each) of c7 to outline my eaves for years - I am this year going to replace them with a line of Color Kinetics iColor Flex SL LEDs. I found a company on eBay that was willing to sell a quantity of them at a 1/4 of the retail price.:]

Each node on the strand is RGB and is individually controlled via DMX -or through CK's software. This will make programming tedious this year, but I expect the outcome to be well worth the time.

If anyone is interested - look at Item number: 330222140959"

I am using 3500 channels of DMX512A lighting in my 2008 Christmas display. I will accomplish this by using 14 iDMX units from LOR. This assumes that LOR is still limited to 256 channels per unit. I talked with Dan about this last month and he doesn't think they will support 512 channels this year with all of the other changes they are making.

Charles

If 512 channels is not supported it is really going to hurt my budget. Each power supply supports 2 strands for a total of 300 channels. I was planning on purchasing an iDMX for each pair of strands (another 6) but if 512 is not in S2 - then I will need to purchase power supplies for each strand - $199 each in addition to 12 more iDMX units

Dr. Jones,

I think the iFlex units have 150 LED's arranged in 50 nodes, which means they only use 50 channels per string, not 150 channels.

The ebay units you listed state they have 2" centers and the normal I-FLex units are based on 4" center, so these must have been a custom order that someone ended up not taking or something. Maybe they are indeed 150 channels, but I don't think so. I am just guessing here.

Charles

Charles

50 nodes X 3 colors per node = 150 channels

I think the 2" is a misprint. the add also states the length first node to last node is 16.5' which is consistent with the 4" spacing I already own

chris

• The topic was locked