Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering the Belkin Tunecast II

HiramDawg

I have this transmitter and have done the antenna mod to it. My question now is what do I use to hook it up to the PC. Since my songs are on the PC along with the LOR software, using an MP3 player won't really work unless you wanna spend the money on the new MP3 player piece from LOR. What kind of cable can I run from the PC to the transmitter. The transmitter input is 3.5mm like a headphone jack. I also want to get away from using the batteries in the transmitter, because it will eat them up. I did a simple test last night and hooked my MP3 player to a power supply in the wall. I could barely make out my music behind the very strong "hum" from the power supply. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shane

HiramDawg wrote:

I have this transmitter and have done the antenna mod to it. My question now is what do I use to hook it up to the PC. Since my songs are on the PC along with the LOR software, using an MP3 player won't really work unless you wanna spend the money on the new MP3 player piece from LOR. What kind of cable can I run from the PC to the transmitter. The transmitter input is 3.5mm like a headphone jack. I also want to get away from using the batteries in the transmitter, because it will eat them up. I did a simple test last night and hooked my MP3 player to a power supply in the wall. I could barely make out my music behind the very strong "hum" from the power supply. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shane

Two 3.5mm like a headphone jack each end One end jack in output audio on computer and one end on input transmitter:}

I keep hearing about this (Wall Wart) is this just another name for a basic power supply or is there a difference in the two? I used a basic one to test out the transmitter and had TONS of buzz, could barely hear the music through it.

I've also been told simply using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will burn up the sound card on the PC and possibly the hard drive???

I use a simple mini stereo audio cable to connect soundcard to Belkin. No trouble in 2.5 years of use.

For power, pcs have 5v and 12v readily available so I used an unused hard drive power connector in the case and ran it out to the Belkin.

No batteries needed.

Cheers,
Charlie

HiramDawg wrote:

I keep hearing about this (Wall Wart) is this just another name for a basic power supply or is there a difference in the two? I used a basic one to test out the transmitter and had TONS of buzz, could barely hear the music through it.

I've also been told simply using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will burn up the sound card on the PC and possibly the hard drive???

(3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will burn up the sound card on the PC and possibly the hard drive)

Alway use that cable to play my music over 2 years now

Wall Wart name of big store you need power supply12volt 300 mA

Danbel wrote:

HiramDawg wrote:

(3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will burn up the sound card on the PC and possibly the hard drive)

Alway use that cable to play my music over 2 years now

Wall Wart name of big store you need power supply12volt 300 mA

:D:D:D @ Wall Wart name of big store! Not Wal-Mart some people are calling power supplies Wall Warts and I'm wondering if these are 2 different things?

Here's how I do my power:

BelkinPower.jpg

and here's a wall wart or linear or (rarely) switched-mode power supply (or in some cases just a transformer) that is built into the top of a plug:

wallwart.jpg

Cheers,
Charlie