Light-O-Rama Forums

Is my Website slow?

EmmienLightFan

Yes, it is very very slow. I tried looking at it the other day, trying to find out where you are located. I got fed up waiting for stuff to load. 

Sorry for the bad news. But, you did ask

to load the above link, it took 1 minute 18 seconds

from there, the other screens loaded ok, definitely faster than last week when I was trying. 

Edited by robongar
  • Like 1

Some quick DNS queries, your IP being part of a dynamic pool, and that non-standard port, lead me to believe you are running your site on your own computer with normal residential internet access.

Slowness aside - Beware:  I don't know BTs ToS, but 99% of the ISPs I know of not only frown on running a server on their residential internet access, they actively forbid it.  Many that do actively block ports (like 80 the standard port for HTTP), which is probably why you are using 8089.

Rather than tie up your computer and bandwidth, consider purchasing hosting.  it's only a few dollars a month, and  it's also going to be a whole lot faster..  In fact, I believe Don (an admin here) sells hosting thru his company.

(Edit:  I didn't see the part at the bottom where you said you do in fact run it yourself.  Everything else still applies.)

I tested you site via two website page load time sites. 

Both came in over 60 seconds to load the entire page.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c57edfb13tsitow/sitespeed-01.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt535e8fw00n4w6/sitespeed-02.JPG?dl=0

47 minutes ago, DevMike said:

In fact, I believe Don (an admin here) sells hosting thru his company.

That I do. https://hostedsite.link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

Some quick DNS queries, your IP being part of a dynamic pool, and that non-standard port, lead me to believe you are running your site on your own computer with normal residential internet access.

Slowness aside - Beware:  I don't know BTs ToS, but 99% of the ISPs I know of not only frown on running a server on their residential internet access, they actively forbid it.  Many that do actively block ports (like 80 the standard port for HTTP), which is probably why you are using 8089.

Rather than tie up your computer and bandwidth, consider purchasing hosting.  it's only a few dollars a month, and  it's also going to be a whole lot faster..  In fact, I believe Don (an admin here) sells hosting thru his company.

(Edit:  I didn't see the part at the bottom where you said you do in fact run it yourself.  Everything else still applies.)

Might be worth noting. He/she are located in the UK

24 minutes ago, robongar said:

Might be worth noting. He/she are located in the UK

I just ran a speed test from a location in the UK. Load time was 87 seconds.

Just under a minute and a half from Southern California.  The large graphics don't help.  Assuming you are running off your home internet service, remember that most residential service (at least in the USA) is much faster download than upload (since that's what the "normal" residential user needs.  My DSL is about 2.5Mb/s down and 750Kb/s up so about a 3 to 1 ratio.  Some types of service have a FAR greater ratio (a lot of cable TV system based internet is will over 10 to 1 ratio (although they generally claim that it's not that bad).

When you're running a server, you need the upload as much or generally more than the download speed.

It was your landing page. after 2 minutes it never loaded but I was able to quickly move to your other pages. Switching back to your landing (home) page , again, 2 minutes, and it never loaded. I have the 2nd fastest speed my provider offers and I love my machine so it was not me, it only appeared to happen on your landing (home) page.

Ok. Thanks.

I think I will get some hosting sorted.

17 hours ago, DevMike said:

I don't know BTs ToS, but 99% of the ISPs I know of not only frown on running a server on their residential internet access, they actively forbid it.  Many that do actively block ports (like 80 the standard port for HTTP), which is probably why you are using 8089.

The reason I don't use port 80, is because something is already using it.

17 hours ago, DevMike said:

The website is running on an ancient computer in my shed.

I have accessed the website from my phone, and computers outside of my network, and it has been fast.

Google Webmaster tools says that speeds are OK.

I will look at hosting. 

I am not looking forward to moving everything over though.

12 hours ago, k6ccc said:

My DSL is about 2.5Mb/s down and 750Kb/s up so about a 3 to 1 ratio.

How much do you pay for that?!

I am supposed to get 40-60 download and 20 upload.

It fluctuates. Late at night when all the gamers and Netflix streamers have stopped, I can get 120 download.

Yes, the photo's are the issue, make them smaller, 640x480 for a home page {or smaller} and the slow crawl will speed up tremendously.  It's never a good idea to put large graphics or photo's on the home page because this is the result of it most often.

So yes, it makes it extremely slow to load, but the text I was able to scroll down too, along with the smaller photo's had all loaded, but as I type this, your larger photo's have yet to finish loading up.

Again, either shrink them or remove them from your home page and I think this issue may just get resolved.

Just my opinion for when I ran multiple websites and learned this the hard way. LOL

Good Luck!

7 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

How much do you pay for that?!

I am supposed to get 40-60 download and 20 upload.

It fluctuates. Late at night when all the gamers and Netflix streamers have stopped, I can get 120 download.

My 2.5Mb/s / 750Kb/s DSL is about $50 per month from DSL Extreme.  It would be quite a bit less except that I need to have static IP addresses because of my mail and (less importantly) web server.  My only other choice for high speed internet is Time Warner cable.  To get the services I need would require business service starting at about $250 per month - which is why I still have my DSL.  For several years I have been told by people who can actually see things like this that Verizon will have FIOS to my neighborhood soon.  Right now, FIOS is available about a half mile from me - ARGH!  However, in the middle of 2015, Verizon started a process to sell their wireline business in California (and a couple other states) to Frontier Communications. At that time, they completely stopped FIOS deployment.  We'll have to see if Frontier is going to re-start FIOS deployment.

It was pretty painful to load, but I think you could optimize those pictures and speed them up.   Your rotater wants to load all the images before it will display the full page.

Just to be mean - here is my connection - :)

Capture.PNG

Edited by smithzone

46 minutes ago, smithzone said:

It was pretty painful to load, but I think you could optimize those pictures and speed them up.   Your rotater wants to load all the images before it will display the full page.

Just to be mean - here is my connection - :)

Capture.PNG

K6CCC must be green looking at that!