Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon 16 Newbie Question

Mike H

I just started working with my first PixCon 16 device but having problems and hoping someone can give me some advice.

I've got it setup using a standalone computer that is only connected to a single router (192.168.2.1) and the PixCon 16 is connected to that router.

When I run the Network configuration and use the Find Configure PixCon 16 button.  It finds the device (and it is shown in White in the list).  I configured it for a static IP address of 192.168.2.100.  I set the pixel types to WS2811.  I'm using the Simple Configuration with Maximum 170 pixels per port.  Currently the Starting Universe of Board is 1 with the Number of Notes per port is 50 and using RGB Triplet Channel Order.  I updated the Unit Name to PixCon16Dev1.  The PixCon 16 is running with a 200w 12 PS.  (I have not made any other changes using the main Network Configuration screen).

OK, Issues I'm having:

1. When I do save my settings from the PixCon 16 configuration screen, I get an error message that states "An error occurred updating the board. The error information is: Error number: 523, Description: Configuration Update failed. Please ensure the board is still powered up and connected to the network, and then retry the update."
    1. Even though I get this error message, if I shut everything down (Network configuration and device) and restart them, my changes appear to be correctly re-displayed.
    2. Yesterday when I first started reading the setup manual for this device, I was able to set the static IP address and didn't get this error.  Today I set the pixel type and changed the device name and now I'm getting this error every time I try to save the settings.
  2. Even though I have a static IP address assigned to the board, I get both the status and power lights keep flashing in sync with each other.  Why are they doing this?

I did hook up one ribbon of leds to it and pressed the Factory IP button for 3 seconds and it went through the test pattern on the strip of LED's so I'm assuming I at least have that setup correctly.

So does anyone know why I'm getting this error message when it tries to save the settings (even though they appear to be saving OK) and why are both device LED's continually flashing?

Don't connect using wireless.  I was getting that error until I turned the wireless connection on my computer off, and used a wired connection.

I had to update the firmware.  As wbaker4 said above, turn off wireless connection.  Check your IP address from the router.  Mine changed and I had to go back and reset it.

1 - Update Firmware.  Ensure the board has 1.4.8 or higher on it.  If it does not, status lights do not make sense.

2 - Ensure you are using latest version of S4 available.  There was a bug in an earlier version (you can check the 'What's New' section of the documentation to find the exact version) that would sometimes report that error in error.

21 hours ago, wbaker4 said:

Don't connect using wireless.  I was getting that error until I turned the wireless connection on my computer off, and used a wired connection.

I'm not, my computer is connected directly to the router and the router is connected directly to the PixCon 16 board.

Try pinging the Pixcon16 from your computer.  It should be very fast.  Too much delay will cause the Pixcon to fail.

This gets a lot more reliable when LOR releases their new version of the Pixcon firmware.

9 hours ago, DevMike said:

1 - Update Firmware.  Ensure the board has 1.4.8 or higher on it.  If it does not, status lights do not make sense.

2 - Ensure you are using latest version of S4 available.  There was a bug in an earlier version (you can check the 'What's New' section of the documentation to find the exact version) that would sometimes report that error in error.

My S4 is version 4.2.10.  I see that there is a 4.2.12 available now so I'll upgrade to that.  The firmware on the device is 1.4.6.  So I'll go ahead an get the latest also and update that.  I'll post my results afterwards.

Edit:  I downloaded the latest S4 which doesn't sound like it has any changes for this issue.  But where do you get the latest firmware?  It's not under the download menu (which is only S4 downloads) and there isn't any links with the PixCon 16 store site.  I've posted a question on the site to try to find it but just in case anyone might know.  Never mind finally found it.

Edited by Mike H

OK, that appears to have worked (updated S4 and the firmware).  I'm still occasionally getting the error when I try to save settings.  I thought it may have been due to having the control panel running on the computer since I had shut it down and did an update before doing the firmware upgrade and it updated without getting any errors.  But now I updated the firmware and the power light is now steady with just the status light blinking.  After I had done this I tried to do another update (I didn't change anything) and I got the error message again so not sure what is causing that error.  But at least the board appears to be working properly now so I can live with that error message since it always updates the board anyway.

Now I can continue on with my playing and learning how to use the board.

1 hour ago, wbaker4 said:

Try pinging the Pixcon16 from your computer.  It should be very fast.  Too much delay will cause the Pixcon to fail.

This gets a lot more reliable when LOR releases their new version of the Pixcon firmware.

Thanks.  With the 4 pings sent, the first was 4ms, second 5ms, third 6ms, last was <1ms.  Doing it again and I was getting 2ms, 1ms, 2ms, 3ms.

12 hours ago, Mike H said:

OK, that appears to have worked (updated S4 and the firmware).  I'm still occasionally getting the error when I try to save settings.  I thought it may have been due to having the control panel running on the computer since I had shut it down and did an update before doing the firmware upgrade and it updated without getting any errors.  But now I updated the firmware and the power light is now steady with just the status light blinking.  After I had done this I tried to do another update (I didn't change anything) and I got the error message again so not sure what is causing that error.  But at least the board appears to be working properly now so I can live with that error message since it always updates the board anyway.

Now I can continue on with my playing and learning how to use the board.

Still getting an error, huh?  You shouldn't be.  I wonder if I still have an issue in there with that code.

What happens is that when you press OK or APPLY, we send the configuration information to the board, wait a few seconds, and then ask the board to return the configuration to us.  The problem is that those 2 packets are just a little different.  For example a packet FROM the board contains things like current temperature and current voltage, but a packet TO the board does not.  To check if the write happened correctly, we look byte for byte between the packet we sent and the packet that was received - skipping over the 'variable' stuff like temp and voltage.  The last bug I fixed was due to the temp field.  At some point the location of the temp field changed, but the program did not.  So if the temperature of the board changed between the write and re-read, it reported an error (and conversely if a certain field did not update properly it was ignored and should not have been)

Unfortunately I have never got the 'unable to update' error since updating the code, so I don't know where to start looking.  I think for a future version I'll add some 'debug' information that generates automagically should a user get that error.  I can then have the user send it in at least see the datastream and figure out what is going on.

10 hours ago, DevMike said:

Still getting an error, huh?  You shouldn't be.  I wonder if I still have an issue in there with that code.

What happens is that when you press OK or APPLY, we send the configuration information to the board, wait a few seconds, and then ask the board to return the configuration to us.  The problem is that those 2 packets are just a little different.  For example a packet FROM the board contains things like current temperature and current voltage, but a packet TO the board does not.  To check if the write happened correctly, we look byte for byte between the packet we sent and the packet that was received - skipping over the 'variable' stuff like temp and voltage.  The last bug I fixed was due to the temp field.  At some point the location of the temp field changed, but the program did not.  So if the temperature of the board changed between the write and re-read, it reported an error (and conversely if a certain field did not update properly it was ignored and should not have been)

Unfortunately I have never got the 'unable to update' error since updating the code, so I don't know where to start looking.  I think for a future version I'll add some 'debug' information that generates automagically should a user get that error.  I can then have the user send it in at least see the datastream and figure out what is going on.

I like that idea.  I'm a computer programmer also so I know exactly what you are talking about.  I'm willing to help any time if needed to test it.

I went through the code several times and see where if the board is in DHCP mode, a slow response back from a DHCP server when the board reboots can cause it to throw the 'update failed' error.  What I did was add some additional error conditions that can be thrown in there as well as lengthening the wait time between sending the update and asking for a re-read.  I can't make that too long, so it is still possible the board has not fully rebooted before the re-read tries to happen.

The 'Update Failed' error is now only thrown when the update packet fails.  

If the board still times out on re-read, rather than an error you get a message that says 'Hey, the update happened but the board was slow to reboot.  That's probably OK'.  

If the update happens and the re-read happens but the data is wrong you get  a new 'Bad Compare' error with additional debug info.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also seeing the same message when trying to apply changes to the Pixcon16. I did previously update the firmware to 4.8 and I'm using LOR 4.3.4 Pro. Having issues with new WS2811's from Ray and read in the other thread about possible issues of them being tm1804's...will check on that but it doesn't apply to this error 523.

It appears its a time issue, not having enough time to set the changes, reboot or whatever it does, then respond in a timely matter to the software. I see that if I set the update, more than once, eventually it will work correctly. Before being asked, I was cabled from the GB switch to the Pixcon16 directly. Switch is directly to the computer and the controller is static IP addressing.