Light-O-Rama Forums

e1.31 controllers single universe ?

bbass101

Hello everyone, 

Ive been looking at e1.31 controllers and I actually own an AlphaPix controller from holiday coro.  It has 16 outputs for driving pixels and three DMX outputs. This would be great if i was driving a mega tree lets say, each string would just come back to this one controller. But I would like to add several pixel elements spaced far apart. Id like to be able to drive each element with its own e1.31 controller and just bring them all back to a central switch connect to my computer. So has anyone seen/used a controller that takes e1.31 and only outputs 1 or 2 universes, either as DMX or directly to pixel (like w211) ? 

There is nothing that says you have to fully load a controller.  For my year round landscaping, I have several SanDevices E6804s that have only one universe in use - in fact one only has 17 RGB pixels connected.  It is capable of more than that of course.

Seasonal Entertainment sells a one universe controller for about $50.00 dollars  but it's DMX not E1-31. Jousha systems sells a two universe unit also that's E1-31

DIY led Express has a 6 port bridge kit that can use pixel extenders. In theory you can run a single universe of pixels hundreds of feet away from the controller. I use the setup for items that are on the face of my house. The bridge kit sits inside my attic and there's a small Pixel extender board that can be hidden inside the elements or a very small box. Everything can be run off of a cat 5 cable

50 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

DIY led Express has a 6 port bridge kit that can use pixel extenders. In theory you can run a single universe of pixels hundreds of feet away from the controller. I use the setup for items that are on the face of my house. The bridge kit sits inside my attic and there's a small Pixel extender board that can be hidden inside the elements or a very small box. Everything can be run off of a cat 5 cable

I have one of these actually, but i can never get it to work. I also have a few DMX to Pixel converters I could use... 

9 hours ago, bbass101 said:

I have one of these actually, but i can never get it to work. I also have a few DMX to Pixel converters I could use... 

Mine works flawlessly. If you're able to figure it out it would solve your problem And the best thing you've already bought and paid for it. What problems are you having?

I have one of the 6 output  E1.31 to DMX protocol converters (LED Express) and one of the 4 output E1.31 to DMX protocol converters from J1Sys.  Both work perfectly.   These are the great for a distributed layout for use with the single universe DMX controllersx.  (also check Holiday Coro for single universe controllers).  They all work with my other E1.31 controlles as well as Standard DMX and LOR protocol at the same time.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:07 PM, Ebuechner said:

I have 2 of the bridges and pixel extenders that I will be using this year! Was wondering how far of a run you used and how you powered them?

4 hours ago, larryk5 said:

I have 2 of the bridges and pixel extenders that I will be using this year! Was wondering how far of a run you used and how you powered them?

I powered them through the cat5 cable. The data only uses 1 pair leaving 6 unused wires. I was anywhere between 50 to 100 feet away from the controller. I did turn the voltage up on the power supply to  compensate for the voltage drop.  If I was to run it further away I would either need a power supply at the display or I would run a 24 volt power supply with a 12 volt voltage regulator at the display. I do have some 5 volt pixels that I'm running with a 5 volt voltage regulator being powered by my 12 volt power supply.

• Like 1

Since your E1.31 controller has DMX512 outputs you could use any DMX controller connected to one of these outputs for a single universe just run wire from the dmx output to the single universe controller.   Holiday CORO also has some single universe controllers.  You can have one single universe controller connected to each dmx output.

if you plan on having the controller a ways away from the other rgb lights  then look into the E1.31 to DMX protocol converters. and run  them all off a cheap network switch ($15.00).

• The topic was locked