Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR1602W and the CTB16PC power rating...

NkySpike65

Are both the LOR1602W and the CTB16PC set as 30 amps max ( two 15 amp fuses ) from LOR?

Just want to make sure I understand this right...

The LOR1602W can be upgraded to handle 40 amps by replacing the two 15 amp rated power cords for two 20 amp rated ones, and replacing the 15 amp rated fuses with two 20 amp ( fast blowing) rated fuses....

Would this also apply with the CTB16K with high-power heatsinks?

This is not my goal, just want to know what my limits are...

I also understand about staying with in the 80% rule...

NkySpike65 wrote:

Are both the LOR1602W and the CTB16PC set as 30 amps max ( two 15 amp fuses ) from LOR?

Just want to make sure I understand this right...

The LOR1602W can be upgraded to handle 40 amps by replacing the two 15 amp rated power cords for two 20 amp rated ones, and replacing the 15 amp rated fuses with two 20 amp ( fast blowing) rated fuses....

Would this also apply with the CTB16K with high-power heatsinks?

This is not my goal, just want to know what my limits are...

I also understand about staying with in the 80% rule...

The new version of the LOR1602W has an inner panel with fuses and a switch. If you were to modify the unit to go to 40 amps, you would remove that inner panel and discard it. Then replace the power cords with 12 awg and wire them directly to the card as per the users guide for the CTB16D card.

The CTB16D card (kit = CTB16K) has been certified to 40 amps at 240 volts by an independent testing lab. That is the card that is the card used in the LOR1602W. However the inner safety panel with fuses and switches is wired with 14awg wire and the switch is only rated at 32 amps. ( 16 amp double pole ).

If you plan to keep at 80% then just keep things wired at 15 amps and run them at 100%. The controllers are designed to run at 100% of the rated current.

-----

My recommendation is to keep to the ratings but do not be afraid to push them to 100%