Light-O-Rama Forums

leaping arches

Mario

Sorry guys, here is a copy of the post with the links.

I used 1 1/4 Elec conduit for mine. I have the large version using 2 10' sections. I also used LED due to the fragile nature of incandescants.

Papa-LF writes:

I had so many requests for more information on the Leaping Light Wrapper Kit - I have produced 3 Videos -

1. Quick Demo and Introduction - just under 3 minutes http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99776482&hl=en
  2. How-To video part 1 http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07066258&hl=en
  3. How-to Video part 2 (split because of length) http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...17375687&hl=en

Of course there are many different options to winding lights - the way I have worked out works for me - hopefully you can glean from the work I have done. The wrapper kit is available from me - for a price please email me here or the address listed at the end of the demo video.

I'd like to jump in here with a question for you arch experts out there.

How are you mounting the arches into the ground so they stay in place? Stakes? Spikes? Prayer?

I can see that many folks use galvanized wire to support them vertically, but I am curious about how you mount the base. Tnx for your wisdom

Thanks for the response Jeff.
Thought about that, and also the possibility of "injecting" the 1" conduit with a foam filler or concrete (obviously bend it to shape first). I think I will end up fixing it to posts and sinking it into the garden, possibly with some hefty uprights to keep it all in place. Thank God for Woodwork Class. And next year I'll look to making slightly smaller arches.

Richard - I think prayer could work well. After all, some would argue if not at Christmas, when? Failing that, wire and posts and sticky-back-plastic, wire wool, and anything else you can get your hands on.

Regards
Rob

Jeffrey wrote:

Maybe you could add a 1/2" PVC conduit *inside* the 1" conduit. Not sure if it would fit, but if it did I would imagine that would make it less flimsy.

-Jeff

Richard Hamilton wrote:

How are you mounting the arches into the ground so they stay in place? Stakes? Spikes? Prayer?

I can see that many folks use galvanized wire to support them vertically, but I am curious about how you mount the base. Tnx for your wisdom

Mine will be rebar stakes 24 inches long with 12" in the ground. For stablizing the arches I will be using black fishing line 20 lb test. Will put one or two stakes in the ground on each side of the arch and string two lines to these stakes.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Mine will be rebar stakes 24 inches long with 12" in the ground. For stablizing the arches I will be using black fishing line 20 lb test. Will put one or two stakes in the ground on each side of the arch and string two lines to these stakes.

Dennis, that sounds like just the ticket! I like that idea. See, I knew there were folks out here a lot smarter than me. Now that you mention it, rebar stakes should be cheap and available. I'd hate to think I'd be stuck using those flimsy plastic stakes that always break unless you stick them in mud ;-)

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Dennis Cherry wrote:
Richard Hamilton wrote:

Dennis, that sounds like just the ticket! I like that idea. See, I knew there were folks out here a lot smarter than me. Now that you mention it, rebar stakes should be cheap and available. I'd hate to think I'd be stuck using those flimsy plastic stakes that always break unless you stick them in mud ;-)

No use metal stakes. Try the metal stakes you get with the steel edging or find some small cork screw stakes like they use to harness dog chains. Harbor Freight has these.

billc wrote:

When programming the channels to move the lights across the arches what works best to show a good flow across the arch? Do you use a simple on / off or do you use fades?

Bill

Bill, that depends. I use both, but I use fade the majority of the time.