Light-O-Rama Forums

pixcon 16 - where to begin?

Newb

Last year I did my first ever christmas light show with 16 LOR channels and decided to step it up and bought the Pixcon 16 for this year.  I'm having issues trying to do a simple arch.

I have configured the Pixcon 16 like this:

Port COM 1 

Speed:  115.4k

Static IP 192.168.1.150

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Pixel Type: WS 2811/12 (using 2811)

High Speed is checked

Simple Configuration

Maximum 170 Pixels per Port

Starting Unit ID of Board: 04

Number of nodes per port: 50 (which matches the light strand I am using)

Triplet Channel Order: RGB

I am using the Standard Edition LOR software purchased late last year.

I am not able to see the device when hooked from the USB485 adapter through the hardware utility (although not sure if I am supposed to be able to).

When I hook a strand of lights to port 1, the lights all turn on and stay on.

In the SE I have right clicked and added the pixcon 16 as 04 controller and then try and do a simple sequence turning some lights on and off - they do nothing but stay lit.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but would appreciate any help I could get.  Only 11 more months til Christmas and at this rate I may not make it!  There should be a step by step dummies guide to a simple set-up, but I have not found it yet).

I just jumped into the PixCon world too and learned...

PixCon operates on the Enhanced LOR Network at speeds at least 500K.

You need the High Speed 485 dongle, although I have heard that the normal 485 dongle may work with the Pixcon.

Oh - and you have to be at the PRO level to use the PixCon16... even if you don't plan to use Intensity files.

I am planning on upgrading to PRO this weekend... I will let you know how I do with the Pixcon after that!

Walt

Also, if you are using it over ELOR, then you don't need to worry about the IP address. Also ensure you are connecting it to the correct RJ45 jack. The silver one with the two lights is for Ethernet, so you don't need that.

If you have not already purchased the high speed dongle, you should consider using Ethernet to control it. LOR recommends it. You can use 340 pixels on every output when using E1.31 to control the Pixcon16, and there will be less lag.

Also, at the top of the page there is a "Follow this topic" button. If you press it then you will receive an EMail every time somebody makes a reply to the thread. It is quite useful.

• Like 1

How difficult is it to connect through Ethernet? When I begin to read through the manuals it quickly puts me to sleep.

Watch what you say, the author of those manuals may be closer than you think ;):P

Ok, I need to clear up some incorrect information here.

The PixCon16 does NOT require Pro.  It will run in E1.31 mode just fine on Advanced.  It only requires PRO if you are going to be using it in ELOR mode.  It will NOT run in anything LESS than Advanced since it is a DMX device (E1.31 mode is DMX which requires ADVANCED).  

Yes, you do still need to worry about the IP address since that is the way the board is configured.  Only once it is completely configured can you disconnect it from your IP network and 'forget' about the IP.

You will NEVER see the board in the hardware utility.  Page 16 of the manual at the very top clearly states:  "Unlike other controllers in the LOR family, the PixCon16 MUST be configured via the Ethernet connection.  It is not configured using the standard LOR Hardware Utility, but instead uses the PixCon16 configuration in the LOR Network Preferences program."

The ONLY way the PIxCon16 will work in ELOR (not E1.31) mode is with Intensity Files.

All of this is discussed in either the manual for the PixCon16:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PixCon16Manual-V1.5-Showtime(S4).pdf

Or in the 'Introduction to DMX and E1.31 for Pixel Control':

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/IntroductionToDMXandE131.pdf

Both of which can be found on our documentation page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/documentation/

For more information on what each level of the software can do, consult the table here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

For more information on supported network speeds and protocols, consult the table here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Watch what you say, the author of those manuals may be closer than you think ;):P

Ha! It's more the subject matter than the writing! It is all still a bit above my understanding, but I am trying. Perhaps I need the dummies edition!

Thanks DevMike. I am slowly plodding my way through this. Will update everyone later.

Oh. I didn't realise that you need Ethernet for configuring the controller.

E1.31 is not too hard, in fact it is quite easy. It took me a while then it suddenly clicked and now it is easy.

You will need a managed switch or router. Connect the controller to one port, and the PC to another. Find the IP of your controller and add this to a universe in the Network Preferences. Then point all your channels in your sequences to this universe.

You can connect the controller directly but I would only do this for configuration.

When using E1.31, you get twice as many pixels per output! Also lag is less of a problem, and you don't need another adapter or Pro.

I recommend Pro though, for the Pixel Editor.

I used the Pixcon 16 this year.  I used it in the E1.31 mode using advanced LOR software.  I used vegomatic to create additional channels in my previous sequences and used Xlights to program my pixels and then converted the Xlight sequences into LOR channels.  I then pasted the pixel sequence into the LOR sequences.

• Like 1

Ok, making progress but still no light control. I cannot get the strand to turn off that I have connected to port one which my understanding is once I set it correctly on the pixcon 16 the lights will turn off. I am using WS2811 pixel protocol lights and configuring the pixcon 16 with WS2811/12. The status light does go from flashing to solid which means it is receiving data, but the lights never turn off. I tried the tm1804 as well after reading a post here that it was a clone for this, but that does not work either. I am connecting with a static IP on the pixcon and multicasting to it. Any other advice appreciated.

Oh, DevMike I read through the material and have to say it is pretty good and well written. Never thought I would laugh in a few spots on reading the basics of E1.31.

I used the Pixcon 16 this year.  I used it in the E1.31 mode using advanced LOR software.  I used vegomatic to create additional channels in my previous sequences and used Xlights to program my pixels and then converted the Xlight sequences into LOR channels.  I then pasted the pixel sequence into the LOR sequences.

This is what I did.

Ok, making progress but still no light control. I cannot get the strand to turn off that I have connected to port one which my understanding is once I set it correctly on the pixcon 16 the lights will turn off. I am using WS2811 pixel protocol lights and configuring the pixcon 16 with WS2811/12. The status light does go from flashing to solid which means it is receiving data, but the lights never turn off. I tried the tm1804 as well after reading a post here that it was a clone for this, but that does not work either. I am connecting with a static IP on the pixcon and multicasting to it. Any other advice appreciated.

Do you have the string connected the right way round?

TM1804 is a clone, but has slight variations.

Have you set the output to the correct universe on the Pixcon 16

Have you set up the network preferences?

I had the same issue with the string turning on white when power was applied to the Pixcon.

After reading documentation on SanDevice's boards regarding 1804 and 2811 clones, I started by testing the strings on a E681 - and they worked.

It was only after reconfiguring the PixCon to TM1804, that the pixels stayed off after power was applied and the board's built in patterns worked.

Where did you buy the pixels?  Do they say 2811 anywhere on the bottom of the PCB?  Mine do, but only work as TM1804.

I had the same issue with the string turning on white when power was applied to the Pixcon.

After reading documentation on SanDevice's boards regarding 1804 and 2811 clones, I started by testing the strings on a E681 - and they worked.

It was only after reconfiguring the PixCon to TM1804, that the pixels stayed off after power was applied and the board's built in patterns worked.

Where did you buy the pixels?  Do they say 2811 anywhere on the bottom of the PCB?  Mine do, but only work as TM1804.

Where did you buy yours?

Ray Wu's WS2811 clones normally say "similar to WS2811".

There must be something wrong with the Pixcon 16.

I have several lots of those pixels and I have never had a problem. They work on the WS2811 option of my Pixlite as well as a small DMX to WS2811 controller.

The only reason why I selected the 1804 option on the SanDevices E681 was it didn't directly support the WS2811. 

I don't have a SanDevices E682 which does directly support the 2811.

Not sure what is going on... Still have to upgrade to PRO to try the Pixels with LOR (besides the self test).  IF all works well, I will buy a few more of the PixCons, otherwise I will get the new E682 boards from SanDevices.