Light-O-Rama Forums

How many boxes can you put on one system

Speakefamily

We now have 9 boxes of LOR 144 Channels, We want to upgrade to 20 boxes 320 channels. Can we do this using one computer? How many boxes can you really put on one system?

Thanks

Harold Speake

I read something in the manual about being able to run up to 240 controllers in series. If that number is correct then it is 240 * 16 = 3840 channels!!!!

Scott

(That would take a month to sequence 1 song)

Now my wife said she wants 3 more boxes, now she wants a total of 23 boxes?
that a lot of work...Hmmmmmmm 368 channels. She hates me..... LOLOLOLOLO
This means I have to buy 14 boxes. Hope the sale is going to be good this year.

Harold

IShubb wrote:

I read something in the manual about being able to run up to 240 controllers in series. If that number is correct then it is 240 * 16 = 3840 channels!!!!

Scott

(That would take a month to sequence 1 song)

I only have 200 channels and it takes me a month to program a song!

TexasBullrider4 wrote:

:)3840 channels!!!! that would make Dan happy or go nuts :}

Dan would probably be happy and you would go nuts trying to sequence them!

I had 25 controllers, but only ended up with 336 channels in this years show. the few issues we had completely went away with LORII. We split the yard in half and ran both ports on the USB box....

Next year will probably be at least 700 channels plus at least 100 DMX channels. I've been wondering also about using a second USB box? Would that head off any communications overload?

I wonder what the "Network" setting that's grayed out in the channel properties is for??

And yes, scrolling is a pain.. Tracks look promising, but as I keep complaining, you can only see ONE track at a time without some type of resizable track window.

Denny wrote:

TexasBullrider4 wrote:
:)3840 channels!!!! that would make Dan happy or go nuts :}

Dan would probably be happy and you would go nuts trying to sequence them!

u got that right :D do u imagian doing that work, man somone has some free time of have no life................ oh what we all have LORs opps sorry;):P:P:P

Hmmmmmmmm......

Let's see now......3840 channels and figuring an 80% safety margin @ 6.4 amps per channel.

We have to be safe you know. :)

That would be 24,576 AMPS!!!!

I think if I did a little remodeling, bought the lot next door and built a power plant I could do this. Check out my sketch below.

Attached files 149242=8730-3k controllers.jpg

with several channels lightly loaded, you could probably cut out the Flux Capacitor. Plus by moving some controllers out into the display, you could free up some wall space in the house....

Seriously though, does anyone know what the"Network" is on the channel property config? Something to do with multiple USB adapter maybe?

1st I think it's classic your up at 3am drawing out the plans.

2nd You forgot to include the step-down transformer to drop the voltage to 115. Unless you were planning the power plant to generate at 115, but that would be very inefficient, plus the wire size would be enormous. Generate the power at say...5,000 volts. Then you could use a manageable size wire. After all, we need to be reasonable about this.

3rd As far as the house plans, no need for the living room. You don't need 2 bedrooms either ...after all you won't have any time to sleep. You do need 1 bedroom for the wife to lock herself in until the divorce is final. Not that anyone could sleep with the noise of the power plant, humming of the transformers and blasting Wizards in Winter 24/7.
The bathroom should be in the LOR room to eliminate the time wasted walking back and forth down the hall during sequencing.

All in all I think it could work out great!!!

Scott

did you not notice that there is no door frm the lor room to others?

in fact, theres no door at all.

back to the drawing board

Don't forget you will need to cool all those controllers, also fire protection. Thinking on that you will need 750kcmil wire to run only 535amps using THHN jacket. You will also need 6 each of a 4000 amp MDP panel. (I bet there would be a way to derate those panels and wire.) Could you take some of the neighbors back yard, I think it would be unsitely in the frount yard. You could hide some of this with some ever green plantings or park a big RV next to the house.
P.S. I do have one transformer that is 13,200v to 208/120v with one 3000amp switch gear just for Christmas lights. My panels run so hot in the winter the light crew will open the doors to stay warm, it looks like thay are standing around a camp fire. Also just remembered don't forget the weight, you'll need some good footings.

I could help out with the supercharger for the back-up generator, your gonna need some serious horsepower there!:D