Light-O-Rama Forums

weather proof moving head spot lights

Eric walls

Does anyone have a recommendation for a way to use a DMX controlled moving spot lights outside?

Do they make weatherproof units? I want to use one, but here in Oregon we get our fair share of rain during the fall and winter.

What are other people doing to protect them from the elements?  Should I even bother trying if it's going to rain where I live?

Eric

I suspend my 4 moving heads from my truss system that has T bars at each end. about18" above the 10' cross truss. I then use a heavy dark,15' X 20' military type tarp over the entire system suspended by the T bars and bungees. Everything stayed high and dry. The tarp is big enough to drop down over the rear and protect the 12 PAR cans and power strips also. Grounded circuits are a must in this application, however. NO two prong plugs allowed. This 10' truss system was on eBay for $79 and included two tripod uprights with T bars and a 10' cross truss. We built a small Nativity scene under it so it resembled a "stable" with old barn wood and burlap...sorry, no pictures as the cell phone pics were crappy quality. The equipment did fog up when it was brought inside and required an external wipe-down and I let everything dry further for two days before doing a power-on check in the basement...no problems found, all ready for the next shows.....your mileage may vary.

Jim

Edited by Rockhammer53

Good Idea with the covered truss.  I wanted to use them in front of the house but they would be exposed to the rain. Sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

We just get so much rain everything pretty much has to be watertight.

• The topic was locked