Light-O-Rama Forums

Desolder Braid vs Desolder Vacum pump

morningsidemustangs

I've never been really happy with the results with either. Generally the desolder braid annoys me less... YMMV...

- Kevin

Here is my two cents:

I have had no luck with the soldering vacum pump shown in the first post, I find it has very low suction.

Solder braid heats up the copper board traces too much and can cause them to become separated from the board.

The "solder sucker" as I like to call it, pictured below, works great. I use it daily in the repair of Slot Machine printed circuit boards.

7880.jpg

They make a standard version and a anti-static version (the anti-static version costs more).

Vic Fortenbach wrote:

Here is my two cents:

I have had no luck with the soldering vacum pump shown in the first post, I find it has very low suction.

Solder braid heats up the copper board traces too much and can cause them to become separated from the board.

The "solder sucker" as I like to call it, pictured below, works great. I use it daily in the repair of Slot Machine printed circuit boards.

7880.jpg

They make a standard version and a anti-static version (the anti-static version costs more).

Hi Vic,

I'm looking at this from the UK. Can you give us a link to who sells this version as I googled solder suckers and it brought back the cheaper crappy one.

Thanks,

Pete

morningsidemustangs wrote:

I was wondering what people's thougts are on the use of desolder braid and vacum pumps like the one below.

Hi morningsidemustangs,

Firstly like the name :). I have used the one you have in the picture, and I agree with Vic Fortenbach. These unit are rubbish. I have asked Vic where we can source these from.

Pete.

Here is a link for the solder sucker I pictured above (the one above is the anti-static version, the regular version is blue color).

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/955692-pump-desolder-high-vac-w-tip-blu-dp-100.html

The link is for a company called Digi-Key, I have had an account with them for over 10 years with no problems. They take credit cards and orders online.

Their main website is www.digikey.com.

As mentioned on another thread, or maybe PC, sometime ago, I just use that compressed Dust Ender gas that is made for cleaning keyboards. It worked like a champ. Can be a little messy, but the solder just wipes off the board. Just make sure you blow the solder AWAY from you (don't ask how I know!)

This is similar to the one I have except I think mine is 40W...
http://www.amazon.com/30-Watt-Electric-Desoldering-Tool/dp/B0002KR9CK/
The tip heats up just like a soldering iron so the solder stays liquid until it is "sucked" up. Very quick use of heat, much more so than braid imho.

I've had mine for ~10yrs and have only replaced the tip a couple times. Works great imo. :cool:

Ha Ha, funny story!

On my first board I made, I installed the screw terminals upside down! All of them! So in a pinch I got the braid thinking it would do me well. WRONG! So still pinching, I went back to Radio Shack and got the cheap bulb pump they have. It works well and the price was cheap as well. But I said cheap too many times here.

I like the sucker Vic posted a link to and will be ordering this one for the next time I make a mistake!

Sorry,

I just changed my domain server, so my picture on the post above will not display. The picture should be fixed by Friday 2/1/08.

Thanks

Vic