Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR DMX Moving Head

chrisuk

Hello All,

For this year i am adding a moving head to my display and i'm after a bit of help. Doing this early to give myself plenty of time to figure it out.

Do i need a iDMX interface to get this working? Or is there a alternative. I'm a little confused on what i need to do to get it working with LOR as i thought LOR could output dmx data anyways.

Any help on how i can get this added to my LOR network would be great.

Thanks 

Chris :)

I would skip the Dongle route completely.  

ach dmx dongle only supports 1 universe.  

Go directly to an E1.31 to DMX Protocol converter (bridge).   Seasonal Entertainment has one ( 4 universe multi cast only), DIY LED Express has one (kit) 6 universes multi cast and Uni cast, J1Sys has one (4 universe unicast or multi cast).

The cost isn't that much more than a good dongle and much easier to use and setup as well as mix with  E1.31 controllers.

A lof of the current E1.31 controllers also have one or more DMX outputs built on to the controller.

• Like 1

I would skip the Dongle route completely.  

ach dmx dongle only supports 1 universe.  

Go directly to an E1.31 to DMX Protocol converter (bridge).   Seasonal Entertainment has one ( 4 universe multi cast only), DIY LED Express has one (kit) 6 universes multi cast and Uni cast, J1Sys has one (4 universe unicast or multi cast).

The cost isn't that much more than a good dongle and much easier to use and setup as well as mix with  E1.31 controllers.

A lof of the current E1.31 controllers also have one or more DMX outputs built on to the controller.

Thanks for the reply, ive got a 16 channel pixlite advatek controller. I think I can do DMX on this! Would I just need to get a Ethernet to DMX cable? I might need to do some reading.:-)

A regular cat 5 or cat 6 cable is all that is needed (must be setup on the controller for which Universe you want it to be). YOU DO NOT need a cross over cable.

I'm a bit confused, here. I used no "bridge" or converter.  Simply went from my ethernet port on my puter, to a 5 port hub, to the controllers (all HC controllers).  I just set up the ethernet card on the PC for E1.31.  Assigning the universe in done in the LOR software. Why would one need a bridge, or cross over?

I am confused now  :mellow:  :blink:

The moving head has the standard 3 pin DMX cable so i'd assume i need at least a ethernet to dmx cable? Then a controller to send the data (Maybe my advatek controller?)

Would this work (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E1-31-sACN-to-DMX-Interface-Bridge-for-Madrix-MagicQ-4-DMX512-Universes-output-/311442895573?hash=item48837172d5:g:UNkAAOSwuTxV8U~z) ???

Thanks

Chris

if your using the pixilte controller it has 4 ports for dmx you connect your moving light with a standard patch cable you can buy an adapter from 3 pin to rj45. Also the product your looking at on eBay is the same thing that the pixelite will do Converting E1-31 to DMX

Edited by Dennis Laff

I'm a bit confused, here. I used no "bridge" or converter.  Simply went from my ethernet port on my puter, to a 5 port hub, to the controllers (all HC controllers).  I just set up the ethernet card on the PC for E1.31.  Assigning the universe in done in the LOR software. Why would one need a bridge, or cross over?

If you are driving a DMX device (moving head light in this discussion) via E1.31, the E1.31 card IS functioning as a bridge from ethernet to DMX, so yes, you did use a bridge (although maybe by a different name).

The reference to a crossover cable is if driving LOR controllers (in DMX mode) and DMX devices (that have an RJ-45 interface) over the same DMX network, a crossover cable is needed because the standard DMX pinout for RJ-45 connectors and the pinout for LOR controllers is different.  LOR controllers use pins 4 & 5, whereas DMX controllers use pins 1 & 2 (& 7 for ground) on an RJ-45 connector (or pins 3 & 2 (& 1 for ground) if using an XLR connector).  The exception is some of the newer LOR controllers have jumpers on the board that allow selecting what pinout standard to use (the 24 port DC controllers come to mind).

You should be able to use your Advatek controller to run DMX devices.  Check page 9/10 of the Pixlite 16 User Manual

"DMX is connected via two vertical RJ45 sockets J7 and J8 as well as a horizontal screw terminal J6.  The DMX Output act as a single E1.31 to DMX bridge Output". 

The Pixlite is basically a pixel controller and a bridge in one. 

• The topic was locked