Light-O-Rama Forums

New Home Prewire

bwinter

Network Cables, more than one, from where the computer is, to the outside of the house.

Electrical outlets on the side of the house, not in the eaves. 

I've seen some really well thought out designs with outlets in the yard. Huge cost savings in extension cords.

I second the Ethernet drops. Probably one for Ethernet and a second for E1.31 dmx.

As Don mentioned. 

Back in the early days, I installed outlets under the eves of my new home. I did this to run extension cords for my C9 light strands to keep from blowing beakers.

Now days with LOR controllers, it's more on the sides of the house to plug in the controllers for the power. Maybe have a dedicated circuit for those power outlets. Home builders incorporate outside outlets to another part of the internal part of the house, like the bathroom. Try to keep those exterior outlets on it's own circuit. 

And yes, as Don mentioned, Network cable stuff.

Tom

Conduit - all over the place.  Conduit allows far easier changes than just having wires.  Put more and larger conduit than you think you will ever need.

• Like 1

Conduit - all over the place.  Conduit allows far easier changes than just having wires.  Put more and larger conduit than you think you will ever need.

Double Ditto on this. :)

I have several locations under the eaves with Ethernet connections. Each location has weather resistant cover that can be closed. There are 6 Ethernet connections to each location that all have a home run to a central location in the attic. From the attic I have several Ethernet connections that run down to the basement where my computer is. Everything is numbered to keep the confusion to a minimum. My attic has a flip down ladder and is big enough for me to walk around in. I have a dedicated circuit that runs to the central location in the attic then branches out to other areas under the eaves. I can use the Ethernet runs for pixel extenders 1.31 lor 12-volt power or whatever I need. This year I used 3 connections from the basement. Lightorama 1.31 and low-level sound. From there up in the attic I'm able to branch things out to where I need them. My Ethernet switch my DMX Bridge and my amplifier and transmitter + 12 volt power all stay in the attic were there warm safe and dry. My DMX bridge will run pixel extenders so I can run all kinds of pixel props on the face of the house with no worries about distance from the controller. And everything will plug in with an RS45 connector under the eaves. I figured this layout gives me the most flexibility for now and down the road

Great advice.

I though all controllers had to be daisy-chained? If so, why would you home-run all CAT-5 to a single (central) location?

Yes, all controllers on a RS485 network are daisy chained. However, there are reasons you might want to have more than one RS485 network running.

Great advice.

I though all controllers had to be daisy-chained? If so, why would you home-run all CAT-5 to a single (central) location?

You might end up using some for E1.31 which is not daisy chained.  Or multiple LOR or DMX networks as Don said.

If landscape being built as well, I would put some electrical runs there too. At least an empty conduit going under your walk way.

I've seen some really well thought out designs with outlets in the yard. Huge cost savings in extension cords.

I second the Ethernet drops. Probably one for Ethernet and a second for E1.31 dmx.

I may have misread your post and the one you made on a thread I started yesterday, but E1.31 is ethernet.

You may just mean general home network as well as E1.31, but on my post you mentioned a special cable to convert from E1.31 to LOR protocol.

:)

Double Ditto on this. :)

Triple ditto. If you wiring demands change, just thread it through the conduit. If I win the lottery, I'm building service tunnels like Disney World.