Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR to LAN?

Guest guest

Hi,

I was just brainstorming and wondered if it is possible to connect the CAT-5 cable coming in from the LOR boards to the ethernet (LAN) connection on your computer.

It probably won't work,but just wondering.:]

Chase Hall wrote:

Hi,

I was just brainstorming and wondered if it is possible to connect the CAT-5 cable coming in from the LOR boards to the ethernet (LAN) connection on your computer.

It probably won't work,but just wondering.:]

No can do. Could fry something in the process as well.

Chase,

I guess that may be enough people to convince you not to do it... :(

LOR would have to come up with some sort of board that would translate your LAN signal into it's own language on the LOR side, whatever that may be... :)

Sorta like one of those old Network Printer adapters we used to see years ago... Kinda like this one for an epson... I imagine one day, it could be done... Just not today...

Attached files 30277=1699-epsonprinteradapter.jpg

Thanks

I was almost positive that wouldn't work.

Iwas just trying to figure a way around the serial port connections.My computer doesn't have a COM port and I didn't really want to go to USB because of shipping time from LOR's website(I have something with LOR this week if,it works out)but I guess I'm stuck with it.

Does anyone know where I could get a USB serial adapter locally?(Lowes,Radio Shack?)

gremler wrote:

A computer without a com port, I find that amazing.:?

Next thing you know they will come without a 3 1/2 floppy. Oh wait, they already come without one of those.
It is becoming very common for PCs not to have serial ports (both desktops and laptops)... They only cost a few dollars when you add them to a desktop but they are not the default.

What do you mean there's no 5 1/4" Drive in this thing? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY OREGON TRAIL!?!?!? Gah, where's an old Apple II when you need it... :]:]

Yea, I don't remember the last time I used a floppy. If I'm not doing a network transfer, email/AIM transfer, or burning a CD, I'm just using a jump drive.