I finally went outside!

After reading all the posts on here on how everyone goes out and meets the viewers etc I decided I'd give it a try. Xmas eve I handed out 160 ferraro rocher chocolates and 20 milk bones to the cars lined up out front. My new neighbors across the street came out and handed out cookies as well. This was great fun and I'm saddened that I never started doing it earlier. My neighbors from across the street really enjoyed themselves as well and assured me that they were definately in for the light show next year!  Merry Christmas to you all!

On the weekends we hand out Hot coco, hot apple cider, candy canes and cookies. Next year gonna clear out the garage and have pictures with Santa in a sleigh. We use our show to raise money for our Local Special Olympics.

• Like 1

After reading all the posts on here on how everyone goes out and meets the viewers etc I decided I'd give it a try. Xmas eve I handed out 160 ferraro rocher chocolates and 20 milk bones to the cars lined up out front. My new neighbors across the street came out and handed out cookies as well. This was great fun and I'm saddened that I never started doing it earlier. My neighbors from across the street really enjoyed themselves as well and assured me that they were definately in for the light show next year!  Merry Christmas to you all!

I think the dogs would have preferred the "Milk Bones"

I went out a few times to hand out candy canes, and about half the time cars would drive off. :( Kind of a bummer, on what was already a difficult Christmas.

This happens to me all the time too.  See this old thread about being repulsive.

• Like 1

I go outside to watch my show because I like watching it, and to make sure it's all working right. I would say that 80% of the time there is no one there, but if there is, a good part of the time, they split as soon as I walk out the door. Now if I'm out in the yard already and a car pulls up, they often will call out the window with a Merry Christmas or something about liking the show. Then I will walk over to them to chat. I really enjoy explaining how it all works.

I've gone outside this year and greeted people. My 11 year old daughter likes going out there with a Santa hat but she's not exactly sure what to say when they're asking questions. We are giving away candy canes and last night we ran out. I've had a new phenomenon this year. I've had several people trying to give me money. I wasn't really prepared for that and tell them I do it simply because I enjoy doing it. And I wasn't looking for any money. Usually followed up with just enjoy the show and Merry Christmas. Last year I had asked the question on the forums about donations. People had said not to do it. Greeting people outside has Ben a little bit therapeutic for me. Roughly 3 weeks ago my sister passed away so greeting people keeping busy with the show and my family has helped keep my sanity this season.

This happens to me all the time too.  See this old thread about being repulsive.

Bob-o

This has to be it - #1 reason they drive off -

- from your 2012 list -

"We dated in HS and you dumped me."

I feel your pain too...

I've gone outside this year and greeted people. My 11 year old daughter likes going out there with a Santa hat but she's not exactly sure what to say when they're asking questions. We are giving away candy canes and last night we ran out. I've had a new phenomenon this year. I've had several people trying to give me money. I wasn't really prepared for that and tell them I do it simply because I enjoy doing it. And I wasn't looking for any money. Usually followed up with just enjoy the show and Merry Christmas. Last year I had asked the question on the forums about donations. People had said not to do it. Greeting people outside has Ben a little bit therapeutic for me. Roughly 3 weeks ago my sister passed away so greeting people keeping busy with the show and my family has helped keep my sanity this season.

I use my display to collect for our local SPCA. Normally the viewers just walk over to the spots provided to donate. As I was giving out chocolates from a stocking people just donated into the stocking as well. I cleared $450 xmas eve which is double my best ever one night take.

I tried to pass out candy canes but would have cars drive off the minute they saw me.  I now have 200 candy canes in my house with nowhere to go.  Next year I'm going to actually dress up in a Mrs. Claus outfit so they know that I'm part of the display and not some weirdo walking up to their car.

Edited by Jaynee

I read somewhere that showers should be taken before meeting and greeting strangers...

I didn't see where anyone said they showered before the show started..

<Curly voice> A wise guy hey! whoop, whoop, whoop </Curly voice>

Several years ago, cars would drive off if I looked out the window. That's when I came up with the idea to cover my windows and make them part of the display. I added cameras too so I could monitor outside action live from the comfort of my sofa.

I've stood outside and watched my own show and people will come up and make small talk. Some will ask if I'm the homeowner and I'll let them know I am and then they start the questions. Many of them expressed gratitude for getting the neighborhood together to do the show. One lady passed me and I saw that she hadn't gone into the backyard so I showed her the sign. As she came back and was leaving she said to me, "Can you imagine?!" I thought to myself, "Lady, you have no idea!".

I only dress up as Santa on Christmas Eve at the end of a shortened Virtual Santa which plays five times throughout each night. I had party guests over that night and they were standing outside beforehand and overheard someone say to members of their group, "Oh, that's just a video". Needless to say they were shocked when I came outside dressed as Santa.

After all the visitors got their pictures taken I approached the line cars so I didn't leave anyone out. Three cars asked if this was where they are asked to donate and it made me realize that some people leave when we approach them because they may not be able or don't want to donate. I don't ask for donations for various reasons but I do think its one reason visitors may drive away when we come outside.

I'd suggest that everyone step outside a few times to hear what people say. Better yet, at least put out a guestbook so people can write out something. I tried it for the first time this year and was shocked at how many took the time to write something. The guestbook had spaces for their, name, where they were coming from, how did they hear about us, and a comment section. I was flabbergasted that people were from Ireland, London, Mexico, Peru, and a few other countries and other states.

Edited by WhitePlainsNY

I get very few people, but when I do get people I like to see how long they stay. Once some people walked off when I was looking out the window at them. I decided to put up a camera and now I can watch everyone outside. I have actually saved some screenshots of people.

For the last 3 or 4 years I've went out dressed as Santa waving to traffic as it goes by (we live on a major thoroughfare) and handed out candy canes and little coloring books to the kids that are with the families that stop. Not as many stop ask I would like but the ones that do love the gesture. I've also had my wife dressed as Mrs Claus and grandkids dressed as elves and got a very nice response. Just with new job I don't get out as much as I would like, only Saturdays and some Sundays, hate that. I also have had several people try to give me money and I told them no thanks that's not why I do it that I do it to see the joy in kids faces young and old. I frequently have emergency vehicles go by and usually get a flash of lights from them, love it.

I stay away from the strangers.... My Momma told me to never talk to strangers...

Strangers are like a box of Chocolates... you never know what your gonna get...

there are to many crazy people now days out running around... especially after it gets dark..

I stay away from the strangers.... My Momma told me to never talk to strangers...

Strangers are like a box of Chocolates... you never know what your gonna get...

there are to many crazy people now days out running around... especially after it gets dark..

I invite them into my backyard!

post-3901-0-80633200-1452043536_thumb.gi

We stay outside pretty much any time the show is running. We've got our Santa hats and Elf hats on passing out candy and milk bones (you'd be be surprised at number folks who bring their dogs).

When cars get backed up down the road we go greet them, tell them what radio station to tune to(so at least they can listen and sort of see), and the show is ~15 minutes long and that they will be moving up in a bit. I believe this helps with traffic control if they know what to expect.

Highlights for 2015:

- 1 Marriage proposal by the Spiral Tree

- 2,800 pieces of Soft Stripe Peppermint passed out

- We got to share the message of Christmas by "Listening to the Lights" with many friends and visitors alike.