Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor Tutorial document references V4.3, not 4.2.10

jcdammeyer

I've got Rev 4.2.10 Pro so how much of the Tutorial is worth reading or applicable?

Could the tutorial also be expanded to include simple lines of Pixels.

If I have a string of 50 pixels along a deck line and want to break it up so sections behave independently but also have some of the Pixel effects work on the entire string how would I do that. 

For example.  In time to music beats or timing lines generated from the tapper in the sequence editor, 5 pixels at a time turn on from left to right with a specific colour.  Then a white block of pixels races back and forth while keeping the colour on in the background.

My Pixels are E1.31 DMX driven.  Channels 13 to 312 are the RGB.  For the same string Channels 313 to 414 are dedicated white LEDs in the same Pixel,  There doesn't seem to be a way to create a unicolour pixel string as a prop in the pixel editor.  Or am I missing something?

If the predefined pixel props could be placed into the sequence editor in the same manner as ON or OFF for my LOR controlled regular strings then I could maintain RGB pixel elements that were duplicated in the Pixel editor as long as I didn't use them at the same time.

You don't have to use the pixel editor to sequence pixels you can assign all the pixels channels in the sequence editor and turn on or off one pixel at a time.

I've got Rev 4.2.10 Pro so how much of the Tutorial is worth reading or applicable?

In version 4.3 you can create a new sequence directly in the Pixel Editor. In prior versions, you had to create a sequence in the Sequence Editor first, before opening it in the Pixel Editor. The PDF version of the tutorial reflects the 4.3 approach, the video version reflects the pre-4.3 way. Everything about creating effects is exactly the same.

Could the tutorial also be expanded to include simple lines of Pixels

I would put that material in a separate tutorial. I have a list of tutorials I need to create -- after the holidays are over.

If I have a string of 50 pixels along a deck line and want to break it up so sections behave independently but also have some of the Pixel effects work on the entire string how would I do that. 

Create 10 props of 5 pixels each. I recommend using the Horizontal Matrix shape for this and setting the number of strings to 1 (so the matrix is 1 pixel high). Then create a prop group containing all 10 props - set the group's arrangement to horizontal stack.

For example.  In time to music beats or timing lines generated from the tapper in the sequence editor, 5 pixels at a time turn on from left to right with a specific colour.  Then a white block of pixels races back and forth while keeping the colour on in the background.

I was going to say "easily done", but there currently isn't an effect that races back and forth. So each race across the 50 pixels would have to be entered as a separate effect. Of course you would really just enter 2 effects - one going one way and one going back - and then use copy/paste to create the rest.

There doesn't seem to be a way to create a unicolour pixel string as a prop in the pixel editor.  Or am I missing something?

In prop definition, on the left side is the "Lights" section. Make sure the "traditional" tab is selected. You can define single color strings, multi-color strings, and strobes on this tab. In most cases you would want to sequence these strings with the Sequence Editor (note the Sequence Method setting at the top of the prop definition window). However, there are benefits to defining them in the Pixel Editor preview with Sequence Method=Sequence Editor: 1) they will play in the preview as you sequence your pixels; 2) the prop's channels can be displayed in the Pixel Editor's Sequence grid -- allowing you to copy from those channels and paste onto the Pixel Editor props.

If the predefined pixel props could be placed into the sequence editor in the same manner as ON or OFF for my LOR controlled regular strings then I could maintain RGB pixel elements that were duplicated in the Pixel editor as long as I didn't use them at the same time.

Any given channel in a sequence can only be sequenced using the Pixel Editor or the Sequence Editor, not both. So you have to choose which props you will sequence with the Sequence Editor and which with the Pixel Editor - you can't have it both ways.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

For the questions I'm still confused about I'll address only one in each reply. 

There doesn't seem to be a way to create a unicolour pixel string as a prop in the pixel editor.  Or am I missing something?

In prop definition, on the left side is the "Lights" section. Make sure the "traditional" tab is selected. You can define single color strings, multi-color strings, and strobes on this tab. In most cases you would want to sequence these strings with the Sequence Editor (note the Sequence Method setting at the top of the prop definition window). However, there are benefits to defining them in the Pixel Editor preview with Sequence Method=Sequence Editor: 1) they will play in the preview as you sequence your pixels; 2) the prop's channels can be displayed in the Pixel Editor's Sequence grid -- allowing you to copy from those channels and paste onto the Pixel Editor props.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong definition of a pixel and they cannot inherently be a single colour?  Here's a screen capture as per your suggestion. I have set 5 lights per string but I can't assign more than one DMX slot for them when it should be 5 slots.

PixelPropDefinition-1.jpg

Perhaps if I describe my pixels a bit better.  Each lamp or pixel has 36 LEDs, 9 of each Red, Green, Blue and White.  Control is via CAN bus messages with values for RGBW and a total lamp intensity I. 

http://www.autoartisans.com/rings/YVR-Horizontal-Test3.jpg

To make them work with show software like LOR I've created two different bridges.  One used the same processor board inside the lamp and a RS485 to TTL module.  This was controlled by the DMX1000 and I had 4 Christmas trees made from a wire frame and bubble wrap with a lamp inside each one.  I was still using LOR 2.x for that a number of years ago.

The small PIC processor really wasn't big enough to handle a full DMX universe so I have since created a module I call DMX2CAN which translates an RS485 DMX universe into the appropriate CAN messages to run 100 lamps on one CAN bus. 

DMX Slot 1 and 2 are configuration information. Slots 3..7 are RGBWI for the entire string.  A DMX message with 8 slots is translated to a single CAN message that lights the entire string.  Either like a single Pixel that is 100 units long or as an RGB entry in Sequence Editor with White as a separate pixel.

From DMX Slot 13 to 312 I have RGB information for the 100 lights.  From 313 to 412 are the White LEDs intensity values and from 413 to 512 are the overall lamp Intensities which is defaulted to 255 in LOR mode.  So it's pretty simple to set all the lights to a single colour and then run a moving set of White intensities along the entire string.

BTW, the DMX2CAN also does the UCS2912 LED Tape Pixels which are RGBW but don't have an Intensity value.  OTOH the GE-35 pixel strings I bought from Costco can also be run by the DMX2CAN and they have RGB and Intensity and no white LED.  Also their RGB are only 16 levels each.  I have 9 strings of those.  I just hack off the GE controller and sub in the DMX2CAN.

So lots of pixels.  Some RGBI, lots of RGBW on several reels and over 150 RGBWI Oring lights as shown in the above link.  Several different types of Ethernet E1.31 to DMX boards.  I've also added a small WizNet Ethernet module to the original 9S12 ring controller which has 5 CAN bus channels and addressed 750 lamps.  Custom control software for that was written in Delphi.

So back to my problem.  I'd like to have a prop that has n lights that can be moved from one end of the prop to the other end of the prop over the duration of time that the prop is ON.  As the lights chase along the length the group is dimmer at both ends.  Left to right and right to left features would also be needed.  Think of a CYLON from Battlestar Galactica. 

If the prop is designed to be a string of single colours (white) then the white light moves back and forth.  If it's an RGB prop then a colour moves back and forth. Red if it's a CYCLON.  In my case I can set the RGB prop to a solid colour like Red and use the white string of pixels to move a sparkly light back and forth.  I'll see if I can find a video that shows that effect.

Since the USC2912 LED tape has RGBW it seems like a good idea to address that type of hardware prop.

Thanks

John

P.S.  Just found this link.  It's far away but shows white chasing on top of a back ground colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUevzYawR9U

Edited by jcdammeyer

Well the way you have lights section is your problem you have it set to traditional that's like old lights that are only one color set lights to rgb then select dumb or smart.

Thanks for providing all of the detail. I have a much better understanding of what you are asking for.

Unfortunately, the Pixel Editor does not support RGBW or RGBI at this time. I was able to come up with a work-around for RGBW. I created a wreath prop using RGB pixels. If you set it to 100 pixels it would match your DMX channels 13-312. Then I created a prop with a bulb shape containing 1 white light on the "Traditional" tab. If you give it a name like "White 001", then you can use prop > copy and the suffix will automatically increment. After copying, I arranged each bulb to be next to its rgb partner. Then I created a prop group containing all of the white bulbs and set the group arrangement to "preview". I then could apply effects to the "white" prop group as as long as the effect color was white -- the pinwheel effect would chase around the circle (though it doesn't reverse).

Attached is my sample preview using 50 pixels. The RGB wreath/circle is on the inside and the white bulbs are on the outside.

post-2660-0-23176500-1450718296_thumb.pn

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Matt, you mention v4.3 PE with new features and your signature shows v4.3.4.  I've got v4.2.12 Pro, but when I go to the LOR download pages, I don't see anything newer, such as v4.3.xx.  Is this something yet to be released?

Edited by George Cotton