Light-O-Rama Forums

What mistakes have you made this year and how will you avoid them next year

Dale W

my biggest mistake for both halloween and xmas was not to treat my front yard and side yard as two different shows. originally i only built one visulizer and it looked good. but in real life you do not see the side when in the front and  you do not see the front  when on the side .   so i plan to use two visulizers  one for each. 

I don't have enough kids songs on my show, and kids have mentioned that they miss having my singing Olaf in the show more

I added a PayPal button to my website for our charity.  Several hundred people have visited the site.  Not a single donation.  One person clicked the button and I think that was me testing.  Engagement is very low on the site.  Talking to people they are much more likely to give cash. 

Not listening to the wife. She comes up some ideas that sound like they are out in left field. But come Christmas time we see them in the stores or someone has made it themselves. So listen to Her ideas no matter what.

• Like 2

This is our first year with LOR.  The lesson learned: If you think you need 500 ft of extension cord, buy 1000 ft of extension cord because you REALLY need 1500 ft of extension cord. *lol*

So far we've had a good run since turning on our lights on December 1, other than minor vandalism last Friday night.  I think in 2016 I'll add simply another 16 channels (I think that's really all we need) for added flexibility, and I'll also work on my sequencing to become that much better at it.  Also, depending on our electric bills when the season is done, I may consider having the lights stay on all night (albeit static and at 50% intensity) to avoid potential vandalism/theft (although we're having a motion sensor floodlight installed tomorrow afternoon that will light up the yard if someone comes onto our property - that may take care of the problem).

I also think that next year I'll go ahead and put all the sequenced songs together (13 minutes of programming), and run them every 30 minutes.  We've had a lot of cars stop and probably get confused that the music is playing but the lights are static.  And they sit for a minute and leave just before the next song (which is sequenced) comes on.  I'll just adjust my sign to say "a show every 30 minutes" versus listing the hours of radio operation.

Edited by Jaynee

Not turning off the power to the display when there was lightning close by.  Lost 50% of my Plasma Icicles 2 weeks before filming the GCLF..

Not listening to the wife. She comes up some ideas that sound like they are out in left field. But come Christmas time we see them in the stores or someone has made it themselves. So listen to Her ideas no matter what.

Amen brother!

Added a bunch of RGB light elements. Expended my sequences by doing a lot of copy/pasting from shared sequences.

So for my "red" colored RGB rows, I had to change/add color.  I overthought it too much in trying to have coordinated  color scheme between elements.  Ended up with some element being rather blan or not much color contrast.

Did some re-sequences to change colors so they were more pronounced. More pure red, green, blues and not so much pastel colors.

So while you have access to a 1001 colors, maybe all you really need are the primary colors and a few more for a really popping display.

Being concerned about using pixels. So now I have dumb RGB strips in places I really should have put smart strips. I didn't save that much money and now I don't have the flexibility I would like to have

Took my brand new Phantom 3 Pro drone outside for the very first time and got it stuck at the top of a 30' tree.

DOH! 

Never build a life-sized Santa photo prop without sturdy legs. Everyone wants to sit on his lap (including adults) and he needs fixing all evening long. Next year I'm getting a seated, flexible mannequin.

• The topic was locked