Light-O-Rama Forums

Megatree

Guest guest

Anyone know who was the first person to assign many seperate vertical channels to a wire Christmas tree and generate the spinning tree effect, I would like to give credit where it is due.

Not sure if we will ever know for certain who the very first was. I started "spinning" my trees 6 years ago. My first computerized trees had 5 different colors with 10 pie segments per color( 5 channels per color as the segments on opposite sides were tied together. I was into the fives that year, 5 new trees, with 5 colors each and 5 channels per color for a total of 125 channels )...

Dan Baldwin wrote:

Not sure if we will ever know for certain who the very first was. I started "spinning" my trees 6 years ago. My first computerized trees had 5 different colors with 10 pie segments per color( 5 channels per color as the segments on opposite sides were tied together. I was into the fives that year, 5 new trees, with 5 colors each and 5 channels per color for a total of 125 channels )...

That sounds cool. sure would like to have seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

mega tree question,

i have 24 strands of c-9's red , green and blue. my question is should i loop over and put 2 strands on one channel for the spin, or should i use 1 channel for each strand, and does any one have any sequences of a mega tree i could look at, because i am not realy sure how to make it spin back and forth?

thank you very much

:waycool::happytree:

joshuashu wrote:

mega tree question,

i have 24 strands of c-9's red , green and blue. my question is should i loop over and put 2 strands on one channel for the spin, or should i use 1 channel for each strand, and does any one have any sequences of a mega tree i could look at, because i am not realy sure how to make it spin back and forth?

thank you very much

:waycool::happytree:

I can't give you an honest answer about how to do your tree and how many channels to use. But, I've sequenced a 12 channel imaginary tree, with my imaginary controllers and the animation sequence preview looks fairly good.

There are a number of ways to spin a tree. I learned by trial and error. The attached is a circular sweep that I did. I don't know what it looks like yet in 'real life' but it looks good animated...

Also note how I carried the effect over from Tree 12 to Tree 1... You have to imagine your tree being round when you do that...

Attached files 32536=1827-rotation.jpg

I would think long and hard before I use C9's or C7's for a mega tree. When you hang that wire and the wind kicks up you could be in for some major disappointments. In fact just hanging them dould be a problem with breakage. For all their problems mini lights are pretty tough and I did not have one break on my mega tree this year.

i used it this year sucessfully with high wind and all, using a 15 foot flag poll and 21 strands, only had one line come off and secured that the next day, i used curtain rod valance hooks at the top of the poll and secured the bottom with landscaping hook tie downs, works great, cant wait to get it to morph this year, as i am getting at least 32 more channels..