Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 twinkle bulbs - usable?

taybrynn

Well, among my after Christmas bargain hunting ... I bought a bunch of multi C9 bulbs ... and later realized they were blinker (twinkling) bulbs. I kind of hate to not use them, but I could just put them away and forget about them.

It seems like they blink after being warmed up ... and do revert to all on after being off for 5-10 seconds.

I was going to put these out on C9 strings mounted on yard stakes ... so I guess I could replace them if they don't work right or I didn't like them (in use).

I'm kind of thinking these will be nothing but trouble, when used with LOR. On the other hand, this channel might be OFF a lot, so mabe they will act normally in limited use?

Am I right, or off-base here ? Does anyone use (or actually prefer) using these twinkling C9 bulbs? They do seem to cut down on power a bit when they start to blink. Are they heat activated or something?

Does anyone have words of wisdom (like 'don't use em' or use them here) to share?

Thx,

Scott

For what it's worth ... I've gone back and forth on using twinkle bulbs with LOR. Didn't use them this year, think I probably will next year.

Each bulb has a bi-metal switch in it which, as you noted, turns the bulb off when it warms up. As soon as it cools down a little it comes back on, and once it heats just a bit it goes off again.

It takes a little while for a cold bulb to get to that point of twinkling.

I like them, though, because they have that randomness that would be nearly impossible (and expensive) to accomplish with LOR. Can you imagine having one channel per bulb? Yowie!

I have a tree on each end of my porch and I think I will put the twinklers on those and use them sparingly. I experimented a little a couple of years ago trying to find a low LOR intensity which would keep them warm (and ready to twinkle) but wasn't successful. Perhaps some more experimentation this year.

Hope that's of some help. Good luck!

Thanks for the really great comments.

I like them, though, because they have that randomness that would be nearly impossible (and expensive) to accomplish with LOR. Can you imagine having one channel per bulb? Yowie!

Funny, I was also thinking that the randomness of the twinkling could actually be a good thing ... because it would sort of appear to be in-sync (to the music) at times and would add an random element of "every show is unique" to things. At times it could create an illusion that you were doing way more (as you said) than you really can.

I was thinking that with restrained use of these lights, mainly for power reasons, but also for control over the twinkling behavior ... I could achieve an all-on look for short bursts ... and then a more intentional 'twinkling' effect for longer "on" times.

I only have enough bulbs to make maybe one of every R,G,B,O,P set a twinkle bulb. In fact, I don't have any pinks, so I'd leave the pinks on and rotate which R,G,B or O is the twinkler in each set up 5 .... sound reasonable?

Thx,

Scott