Light-O-Rama Forums

First Video for 2015 - First Year With RGB's

dragonzpneuma

Finally got a halfway decent video of one of the songs in this years show.  Would like to have gotten a little more detailed with my sequencing, but this is an entirely new show and all my time has gone into building all the props, learning RGB, and learning Pixel Editor.  I believe it's a good start though.  Always looking for constructive criticism.  That is after all how we improve.  Hope you enjoy.

Keith

• Like 2

Looks great! I gotta look into those, don't have any experience in pixel editor to criticize  :huh: But I think you did great! 

• Like 1

Looks good

How long are the pixel runs on the fence

As you can see, the fence has two sections.  Each section is twelve strings of 125 pixels.  Grand total of 3000 2811 pixels running on two E682 controllers.

Thanks for all the great compliments everyone!!!!

I'm going to say this is the best video I've seen this year.  Great job,  I'm going to share this with a few people. 

How was bad was the learning curve from Sequence editor to Pixel Editor.  I want to make the leap but just haven't because learning new programming and it seem so much harder.

I'm going to say this is the best video I've seen this year.  Great job,  I'm going to share this with a few people. 

How was bad was the learning curve from Sequence editor to Pixel Editor.  I want to make the leap but just haven't because learning new programming and it seem so much harder.

Thanks for the shares Jeff, and the kind compliment.  If one person thinks it's the best, my year has been made.  Best of luck with PE.  It's not as tough as it seems.

Keith

Really good and love that song, hubby is a big Who fan (that's their riff, right?), might consider that for next year!

And yes, super impressive and still very Christmas-y. Some RGB/Pixel houses look too 'vegas' for me- you strike a really nice balance!

Where/what did you mount the camera on?

Really good and love that song, hubby is a big Who fan (that's their riff, right?), might consider that for next year!

And yes, super impressive and still very Christmas-y. Some RGB/Pixel houses look too 'vegas' for me- you strike a really nice balance!

Where/what did you mount the camera on?

Yes, that is the tune from Who's "Teenage Wasteland".  Heard it last year and had to do it.  Great beat to sequence to.

My camera was on a tripod and sitting on top of an 8' ladder which was sitting on a little hill.  Gave me a pretty good elevated view of the show.

Many thanks for the kind comments.  Hopefully I can get another song filmed in the next few days.

Happy Sequencing,

Keith

Looks Great!

Did you use bullet nodes or flat (square) nodes on the fence and how did you mount them to the fence?

-----

EDIT: Also can you please give me the link to the pixels you got? I have been looking into doing a pixel fence and wanted to know how the pixels you got are holding up for you. And if you would do anything different if you built it again.

Thanks

Edited by canadianchristmas

Looks Great!

Did you use bullet nodes or flat (square) nodes on the fence and how did you mount them to the fence?

-----

EDIT: Also can you please give me the link to the pixels you got? I have been looking into doing a pixel fence and wanted to know how the pixels you got are holding up for you. And if you would do anything different if you built it again.

Thanks

Yes, I used 12mm bullet nodes on the fence.  They are all mounted in Boscoyo mounting strips.  The fence post are made of 1.5" PVC pipe.  I simply used long deck screws and screwed them into the PVC.  The Boscoyo strips are zip tied to the screws.  The pixel spacing is 3" horizontal and 3.5" vertical.  As for the vendor I purchased the pixels from, I really couldn't tell you.  I simply scoured EBay for the best price and used that vendor.  Made several purchases from several different vendors.  Always check their ratings closely.  That will give you a good idea of the quality of pixels they are selling.  Out of 6750 pixels, I think I've only had to replace 4, so I consider myself very lucky.  The only thing I plan to do different on the fence matrix next year is switch to LED's on the fence posts.  The rest is working great.  You will have to use guy wire on the two outer posts to prevent sagging.  The tension pulls everything inward.  

Hope this helps.  Many thanks for the kind compliment, and I wish you luck if you decide to do your own fence.

Happy Sequencing,

Keith

• Like 1

Yes, I used 12mm bullet nodes on the fence.  They are all mounted in Boscoyo mounting strips.  The fence post are made of 1.5" PVC pipe.  I simply used long deck screws and screwed them into the PVC.  The Boscoyo strips are zip tied to the screws.  The pixel spacing is 3" horizontal and 3.5" vertical.  As for the vendor I purchased the pixels from, I really couldn't tell you.  I simply scoured EBay for the best price and used that vendor.  Made several purchases from several different vendors.  Always check their ratings closely.  That will give you a good idea of the quality of pixels they are selling.  Out of 6750 pixels, I think I've only had to replace 4, so I consider myself very lucky.  The only thing I plan to do different on the fence matrix next year is switch to LED's on the fence posts.  The rest is working great.  You will have to use guy wire on the two outer posts to prevent sagging.  The tension pulls everything inward.  

Hope this helps.  Many thanks for the kind compliment, and I wish you luck if you decide to do your own fence.

Happy Sequencing,

Keith

Thanks!

Also wich mounting strip did you use from Boscoyo? what is rigid enough, as a lot of there mounting strip products seem to recommend mounting on pvc pipe? 

Thanks!

Also wich mounting strip did you use from Boscoyo? what is rigid enough, as a lot of there mounting strip products seem to recommend mounting on pvc pipe? 

This is a link to the mounting strips I used.  They work great for me.

http://boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2

This is a link to the mounting strips I used.  They work great for me.

http://boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2

I forgot to ask how many did you need for the whole fence? My guess is about 72?

Thanks Again for all the awesome help!!!  :D

Edited by canadianchristmas
  • Like 1

Very impressive. First year with RGB, I would say you look like a Pro. 

Nice work!

Edited by NWSanta
  • Like 1

Absolutely Fantastic!

Thank you very much.  I see from your post that you are from North Carolina.  If I may ask, what city are you in.  I'm just south of Asheville myself.

Merry Christmas,

Keith

Very cool! I'm just playing with the PE to try and get my *NEW*!!!! 6 arches into my show for next year. Definitely a learning curve, but I've just messed with it for a few hours. Hopefully I can get it down as good as you did. Hats off to you!

P.s. I really like those pinwheels.....They ahh,,,,, got my mind..ahh,,,,,"spinning" ...heh heh he.

• Like 1