Light-O-Rama Forums

Migrating Arches from SE to PE and change pixel count

parts223

I have 6 32 channel pixel arches that were sequenced using SE. I would like to use the existing sequencing to drive a 320 channel pixel arch. My E1.31 controller does not allow for grouping pixels. If it did then I would just group 10 pixels per channel. Is there a way in PE to group pixels using a sequence imported from SE. I can set the prop configuration and grouping to anything that I need in PE but the result is that only 32 pixels would actually be used for playback.

Is there any better way to handle this?

Thanks,

Mike

How do you want it to scale? Do you just want 1x192 pixels to proportionally scale to 1x320 pixels? If so, that could be done. Create a temporary prop - say a horizontal matrix 1hx192w pixels that maps to the same channels as your 6 arches. Use the migration tool to import the SE data to the temporary prop. This will create an AVI movie file. Now copy the movie effect on the temp prop to the 320 pixel arch prop - and make sure "Scale Image" is checked.

Matt

I see now. I can see where this could be useful in a number of instances.

Is there a place that I can look to better understand exactly how an AVI movie file works with PE and how it actually maps the pixels?

Thanks,

Mike

The Pixel Editor movie effect can play AVI files that are uncompressed and recorded at 20 frames per second. You will get an error if you try to select an AVI movie that has any sort of compression; and the movie will play back at the wrong speed if it is recorded with a different rate.

In the example I gave above, the migration tool would create an AVI movie with a frame size that matches the size of the Pixel Editor prop - 1h x 192w in this case. If scaling is enabled in the movie effect, then scaling is proportional. It can scale up or down as required to match the size of the prop it is being played on.

Also note that most movies are much too high in resolution to look good on a typical RGB pixel matrix. Small animated GIF files are usually a much better fit for a pixel matrix or tree - and these can be displayed using the picture effect.

Matt