Light-O-Rama Forums

Amp meter

Mike_1

I was wondering if anyone had mounted amp meters to there enclosures? I would like to add some to mine but don't have clue how to do it. If you have please show pics and maybe a wiring diagram.

I know Mike Sigmond does and someone else posted pics of using them as well...

Like Dale I just use a clamp-on since once you know you're within the specs, you don't really care what the readings on anymore (and the fact that I'm cheap plays a part too)

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim's point is right on.. I thought about this also, but I checked circuits with the clamp-on amp meter, and verified that nothing should blow up. Since the load will not ever change without adding or subtracking from a circuit, there's no need to check it again.

I pulled the covers off my outside disconnect switches and put the meter on each phase and had my son play an 'all on' sequence' Totaled up to only 367 amps... With a 320 and 200 amp service, I could have used a bunch more lights!

Mike_1 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had mounted amp meters to there enclosures? I would like to add some to mine but don't have clue how to do it. If you have please show pics and maybe a wiring diagram.

I use this product and it is pretty good.
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.html

It can also automatically calculate energy cost for you when you enter your electric cost rate. I put it on one controller for one night to measure the power for all the shows on that controller, and then put it on another controller on another night. within a few nights I have accumulated data on what each of the controllers consume.

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about adding in panel meters also. Musicdude, what meters and associated hardware did you use and where did you get them from? Also, why do you use 4 per box, it would seem that 2 would be enough.

dougd wrote:

I have thought about adding in panel meters also. Musicdude, what meters and associated hardware did you use and where did you get them from? Also, why do you use 4 per box, it would seem that 2 would be enough.

Doug,

It looks like he has two boards per box, 4 power leads. Anyway, these are the meters I bought.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1163

JBullard wrote:

dougd wrote:

Doug,

It looks like he has two boards per box, 4 power leads. Anyway, these are the meters I bought.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1163

thats the same place i got my meters and you are right i have 4 meters because i have 2 boards per box and iam using 2 power inputs per board

Cool, I've been looking for some amp meters that were internally shunted, amazing they are so hard to find, Newark electronics has over 2 million parts but not one internally shunted panel meter. I missed that second board below the other board in the picture so 4 meters makes perfect sense.