Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence editor bug...

Guest guest

Sometimes when I'm trying to make timing adjustments in the LOR sequence editor, it does something weird. This is going to be hard to explain, but here goes...

If I click and drag an event marker towards the left and release the mouse button, the marker that I was dragging jumps back to where it started from. The marker to the left of the one I was dragging jumps over to where I released the mouse button.

I don't see this all the time, but it does get aggravating. When I try to fix the one that moved, the next one on the left jumps over and so on. I think it only happens at certain zoom settings, and only if I'm dragging the marker to the left.

I tried a different mouse and had the same symptoms, so I don't think it's a flaky click/double-click kind of thing.

Anybody else have this problem?

thanks!

I have seen this too, from time to time (and undo doesn't undo timing stuff)

I've started manually editing the timing NUMBERS instead of dragging lines.

Also, once the timing is right, you can lock it so a misplaced drag while drawing your sequence doesn't mess up the timing again.

Maybe that is your problem that (pix) said above. Maybe you got the sequence locked. I did not know you could do this, but again-I have not played with the software that much. I guess it is time for me to start playing more with the program.

Not sure what is happening there. We tried to reproduce it but were not successful. This area in the code has been completely re-written and simplified so it should have less chances of errors in the future.

LightORama wrote:

Not sure what is happening there. We tried to reproduce it but were not successful. This area in the code has been completely re-written and simplified so it should have less chances of errors in the future.
Dan does this only happen in the demo version then. I was having that problem also untill I found out that you could lock it.

Thanks guys for the replies and suggestions. I'm almost glad that a couple of others have had the same problem - so it's not just me.

I hadn't noticed that you were able to lock the timing before. That's a good feature that I'll definitely start using, but I don't think it's the cause of my problem. When the timing is locked, you can't drag the lines at all.

I'm using the full version, so it doesn't look like it's unique to the demo.

It doesn't seem to happen at the default zoom setting. I usually press the 'zoom time out' button once or twice to get a broader view and that may be related. The easy fix may be to work at the default view for now. I'll see if that helps.

It's really not that big of an issue - I just have to save my progress often so I can back up a few steps and continue.

Thanks again!!!

Murl wrote:

It's really not that big of an issue - I just have to save my progress often so I can back up a few steps and continue.

(I should really add this to the Wiki)

There are times when I was working on a sequence where I would save the file as revisions, so I could go back in time if needed. It helped if I got a long way into something, and realized I didn't like it. I always save before changing *any* timing on any cell.

VonnerNIX wrote:

I added something like this to the Tips and Tricks section right after the wiki came out.

Perhaps I'll add to it to add the part of saving various versions. (Or someone else can. :P)

Murl wrote:

Thanks again!!!

Well Murl,

Your going to have a bigger issue if you don't regularly save your work anyways. A computer glitch, power surge or what ever and it's gone. It's best to get in the habit of clicking that save button. When I sequence songs, I'll have about 5 seconds as a default viewable on my screen and before progressing on to the next 5 secs, I'll save my work, and so on to the end.

Also and if you haven't already thought about it, back up your sequences on CD or a memory stick each day or when you've made moderate changes. Again, if that computer goes up in smoke, there could be a chance you may not be able to retrieve your sequences (that would be a serious bummer).

Just a thought, Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

and if you haven't already thought about it, back up your sequences on CD or a memory stick each day or when you've made moderate changes. Again, if that computer goes up in smoke, there could be a chance you may not be able to retrieve your sequences (that would be a serious bummer).

Just a thought, Tom

I havn't checked this yet but can you use the files over a network. I don't know why I didn't think of keeping them on my file server. Does anyone do this? Is there any problems with them running over a network? I do this with all my CAD files and never have a problem but with this we a talking about actualy multiple files having to run at the same time.

Murl wrote:

It doesn't seem to happen at the default zoom setting. I usually press the 'zoom time out' button once or twice to get a broader view and that may be related. The easy fix may be to work at the default view for now. I'll see if that helps.

Murl,

If you have a sequence where this happens consistantly ( or often ) and you can tell use the steps to follow to get it to happen, like zoom in two clicks then drag event 1:02.04 to the left.... that would be great and we would use that sequence to understand the problem and make sure it is not in the new version of software.

Dan,

I've been playing around with different scenarios to see what makes it better/worse and I've found something that seems to be pretty consistent:

• Create a new animation sequence with 0.29 between events.
  • Zoom out 1 click (gives approx 15 seconds span on my screen)
  • Starting anywhere on the screen, grab a line, move it 1/2 the distance to the previous line on the left and drop it there
  • Grab the next line to the right and do the same thing
  • Keep repeating this as you move each line 1/2 step towards the left

If I follow this, the problem I described above happens to about every 3rd line I move.

I was using a 'tapped' musical sequence with similar timing when I noticed the problem and it doesn't seem to happen if I use an even (0.10) time between events. It also doesn't seem to happen if I don't zoom out. Hope this helps....

• 5 months later...

I just got my software and controllers at the Sale. As a newbie I am experiencing this same timing issue when trying to adjust the timing event using the mouse.B) Has anyone come up with anything new since February? I will try the normal view, rather than the zoom, to see if that makes a difference. Thanks.