Light-O-Rama Forums

Another LED Queston!

James Shelby

OK I have read a few post on LED's but sence I don't have any I paid it no mind. Well it's 2008 and light up is just around the corner. I am going LED now and I'm confused. I here you can burn up a lot of LED's if you sequence them like before, then I here there are no problems. I will be buying a lot of new controllers for this year, do I buy the same LOR1602W's as before? Also what type, style andor kind of LED's do I buy. I know I should have stayed awake in class when this last came up but could someone please clear this up, what do I buy.

I too am wondering what "style" of LED lights that people have found to be the "best"for different aspects of displays?

Do you use a C6, C7, or minis for your mega trees?

How about around windows and doors? Are minis the "favorite of choice" among people who have used the LEDs?

Anybody know of a link to any form of comparisions done concerning the different levels of brightness between the various styles of bulbs?

As a side note, how do the different styles work when running musical sequences with fades, shimmers, or chases on them? Do any of the style bulbs work better?

Inquiring minds want to know (as well as us noobs who are getting ready to spent lots of bucks!).

Thanks

Bill

beeiilll wrote:

As a side note, how do the different styles work when running musical sequences with fades, shimmers, or chases on them? Do any of the style bulbs work better?

Bill,

I used LEDs this year in my display that I bought on clearance from Walmart and Home Depot the previous year. Since selections had been picked over, I had a variety of styles, minis, C-3, C-6, C-7, C-9, domes. You name it, I probably got it last year! All these were basically the same, the only thing different was the plastic shell over the LED that gives it the shape and "size." My up-close observation was that the C-9 appeared more dim than the C-6 size even though they had the same LED inside. However, I used both to outline my roof and from a distance, they appeared to be the same intensity. To me, the smaller sizes seemed brighter than the larger ones, again, they had the same LED inside. All these only had a single LED inside the "bulb." Now, I did buy some color changing screw in C-7 replacement type bulbs from Travis; these, I believe, have three LEDs in each one to get the variety of colors.

Also, I had no problems with fades, shimmer, twinkle, etc. (I did not use any of those effects on the color changing bulbs, just on and off with them.)

I did not use any in my mega tree, mainly because I did not have enough strings of any one type. My initial thought is that the mini size would be more brilliant, but then again, I got a lot of C-9 size this year on clearance, so I may try them next year.

Thanks Denny

Nice to hear that they all seemed to work "pretty much the same".

I have been playing with the spreadsheet for Paul's Creative Displays pre order and I am at $2500 so far and that is only for the bare minimum that I think I can get away with.

This is going to be an expensive year for me I can see :D

Bill